VINTAGE GUITARS BY WILKINSON?

earfurblues

• Members

Has anyone here ever played one of these guitars? his website at www.jhs.co.uk shows a bunch of great looking guitars with demonstration videos. The price beats the hell out of anything comparable made in the US. The only dealer listed for the US is in Canada. Seems to me that if he got these guitars into the US market he could beat the crap out of Fender and Gibson. The one that intrigued me was the Peter Green distressed Lemon Drop with the reversed neck humbucker for less than $1000.00. Gibson would probably sell something comparable for three or four times that if they would do it all. Let me know if you have any info on these guitars or how to buy them. Thanks

• Members

I have a Lemon Drop and it's a GORGEOUS guitar indeed -- perfect weight and balance, lovely neck profile and exquisite low-output PAF-alike PUs. It needs a LEEDLE fret-coddling before it'll be 100% giggable, but I've played it at a couple of rehearsals and can't wait to be able to use it live. In fact, I'm now endorsing it ...

http://www.jhs.co.uk/charlesshaarmurray.html

... as is your friend and mine Marc Jefferies, better known to you and some of me as metalheadUK. Marc also owns one of Trev W's Vintage Strat-alikes and is considering checking out their basses.

• Members

Many people seem to like them but I have a contrasting point of view:

I played one of their top-end aged strats. It was over $500 new. Had sprout and sharp ends on every fret - the worst I have ever seen. The sound was unremarkable. The faux aging looked awful. Rather than painting the guitar as new and then creating the wear, they essentially paint a pattern on the guitar that looks like wear - and then finish a clearcoat over the worn spots! Now, that's not an issue if you opt for a regular finish but overall I would say the quality on this guitar would have been suspect at even half the price.

I can't speak for their other models, and maybe this was a really bad apple, but i'm sure you will see alot of postive raves in this thread but my experience was exactly the opposite.

• Members

They are carried here in the US. I live in Huntsville, AL and one shop here in town is a distributor. Saw them online and they looked great and was excited. Saw them in person and played a couple and was not so impressed. I think the LPs look better than the strats. The wear looks very fake to me (similar to the Joe Strummer tele). I hear people complain about the Road Worns looking fake, well they look 10X more authentic than a Vintage. Sound was OK. Don't think they'll be beating the crap outta Fender or Gibson. IMHO. I did think their copy of Clapton's "the Fool" SG was cool though.