Fender Jaguar J-craft JGS-86

Zoidberg

• Members

Lately I've really fallen in love with this guitar, looks-wise:

jaguar.jpg

From what I understand, these are only meant for the Japanese domestic market?

Have anyone got first hand experiences with these J-craft guitars? :)

And can anyone tell me exactly what all the knobs do? :D

• Members

I have that one. The knobs do exactly the same thing as a regular Jag.

small1.jpg

Good luck finding one.

Top knob up = rhythm circuit = neck pickup only, vol/tone controlled with the two roller pots on the upper horn.

Top knob down = lead circuit = pickup selection and bass cut controlled by the three lower control panel switches, volume/tone controlled with lower regular knobs.

The JGS-86 differs from the HH and JGS-83 models in that its metal hardware is actually distressed or anodized nickel, and has a dark, iridescent green/black/brown sheen to it, whereas the other models are chrome plated steel or something, whatever is used to make the normal chrome type of hardware.

After a while of use, the acid in your hands will end up eating through the finish on the hardware, and it will revert to a shiny nickel. For example, compare the area around the volume knob in the first picture to the same area in the following picture. The top picture, with the Daft Punk sticker, is what happens after two or three years of regular use.

jaguars.jpg

• Members

The stock humbuckers were alright. I'd swap em back if for some reason I didn't care for the Dimarzio Super IIs any longer.

People on the jag/shortscale/offset forums thought that the Dragster humbuckers sounded sort of light, more like single coils, which could be because of the short scale.

I recorded this song with the stock humbuckers on that JGS-86. Don't ask what pickup, I can't remember which one I used the most, probably the bridge in combo with the bass-cut switch, that had been my favourite for the longest time. Recorded on a Peavey Studio Pro 112 using one of the crappy gain selections (I forgot to bring a pedal into the studio), with a Shure SM58 into an M-Audio Control24 connected to a Mac running pro-tools. It was the final project I did in a recording class. Maybe it can tell you what the JGS-86 sounds like.

• Members

Lately I've really fallen in love with this guitar, looks-wise:

jaguar.jpg

From what I understand, these are only meant for the Japanese domestic market?

Have anyone got first hand experiences with these J-craft guitars?
:)
And can anyone tell me exactly what all the knobs do?
:D

Looks like a standard Jaguar HH to me !

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=jaguar+hh

(...just a diff colour)

:thu:

• Members

The stock humbuckers were alright. I'd swap em back if for some reason I didn't care for the Dimarzio Super IIs any longer.

People on the jag/shortscale/offset forums thought that the Dragster humbuckers sounded sort of light, more like single coils, which could be because of the short scale.

I recorded
this song
with the stock humbuckers on that JGS-86. Don't ask what pickup, I can't remember which one I used the most, probably the bridge in combo with the bass-cut switch, that had been my favourite for the longest time. Recorded on a Peavey Studio Pro 112 using one of the crappy gain selections (I forgot to bring a pedal into the studio), with a Shure SM58 into an M-Audio Control24 connected to a Mac running pro-tools. It was the final project I did in a recording class. Maybe it can tell you what the JGS-86 sounds like.

Cool clip, I really liked the riffing around 2:10 :thu:

I thought the clip sounded good, and it would be cool to hear it recorded with a better amp ;)

• Members

Cool clip, I really liked the riffing around 2:10
:thu:
I thought the clip sounded good, and it would be cool to hear it recorded with a better amp
;)

Thanks. :) I'll be set up with a proper recording setup soon enough. Don't have access to the old University studio anymore.

Also, good luck finding one of these Jags. I haven't seen another on eBay since, and Fender Japan no longer exports their guitars.

• Members

Thanks.
:)
I'll be set up with a proper recording setup soon enough. Don't have access to the old University studio anymore.

Also, good luck finding one of these Jags. I haven't seen another on eBay since, and Fender Japan no longer exports their guitars.

Are you sure that goes for every shop? :(

I've heard that Fender Japan have put the stranglehold on Ishibashi, but I kinda hope that if I ask around I'll find a shop who's willing to help me out..

• Members

Are you sure that goes for every shop?
:(

I've heard that Fender Japan have put the stranglehold on Ishibashi, but I kinda hope that if I ask around I'll find a shop who's willing to help me out..

Ask around, definitely, but most Japanese retailers won't do it. Ikebe Gakki and Ishibashi are two of them, and I'm sure there are more.

At least not to North America anyway. Maybe they'll ship to Norway. I know they'll ship to Australia for some odd reason.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

hey guys im new here, Ive got one of them guitars the GMB fender jag i got it off ebay for like $700 of a guy in Australia and im from Australia so i were stoked and it was in mint, he got it in japan and he did say they were becoming quite rare im not sure how true that is but i haven't seen many around,, there a lovely guitar to play and i cant ask for a better lookin guitar, its great to see someone else has one too

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

I have that one. The knobs do exactly the same thing as a regular Jag.

small1.jpg

Good luck finding one.

Top knob up = rhythm circuit = neck pickup only, vol/tone controlled with the two roller pots on the upper horn.

Top knob down = lead circuit = pickup selection and bass cut controlled by the three lower control panel switches, volume/tone controlled with lower regular knobs.

The JGS-86 differs from the HH and JGS-83 models in that its metal hardware is actually distressed or anodized nickel, and has a dark, iridescent green/black/brown sheen to it, whereas the other models are chrome plated steel or something, whatever is used to make the normal chrome type of hardware.

After a while of use, the acid in your hands will end up eating through the finish on the hardware, and it will revert to a shiny nickel. For example, compare the area around the volume knob in the first picture to the same area in the following picture. The top picture, with the Daft Punk sticker, is what happens after two or three years of regular use.

jaguars.jpg

Your black Jag is sooo sexy!!! Are those ric pickups in it? how you get them in there?

Archived