Good place to buy body wood blanks from in the US online?

rakester

• Members

What species of wood do you seek?

I'm not actually looking for any specific, where I live in the UK it's hard to get hold of decent blanks for a fair price.

I wouldn't mind a purple heart blank actually

• Members
there's always ebay...

i bought a one piece mahogany blank from member guitarzan1143 here...

you might check with him...

Ah good shout on ebay, never even thought to have a look on there since there is literally nothing decent on UK ebay.

I'll shoot guitarzan a PM as well :)

• Members
Find a good lumberyard that supplies cabinet shops in your area.

That would definitely be way cheaper than Stew Mac. Carvin, etc..

I remember from another thread, he is planning a trip to US. His shopping list is growing. :lol:

OP, if you post where in US you are headed, maybe someone can suggest a lumberyard there.

• Members

I wouldn't expect to just open a phone book in any old area of the U.S. and find a yard that has suitable slabs of species that you might be interested in. You're definitely going to want to line things up before you arrive.

Where are you going to be in the states?

• Members

I wouldn't expect to just open a phone book in any old area of the U.S. and find a yard that has suitable slabs of species that you might be interested in. You're definitely going to want to line things up before you arrive.

Where are you going to be in the states?

I dunno about that. I can name at least 3 in the Seattle area that have most of what I use. About the only thing I don't find in those places is Spruce, but I get that from Alaska Specialty Woods anyway. Portland is about the same, as is Phoenix, so I'd guess that most metropolitan areas are going to have a decent resource.

• Members

I dunno about that. I can name at least 3 in the Seattle area that have most of what I use. About the only thing I don't find in those places is Spruce, but I get that from Alaska Specialty Woods anyway. Portland is about the same, as is Phoenix, so I'd guess that most metropolitan areas are going to have a decent resource.

Exactly...it all depends on where you go. Depending on where he is heading he might be able to find local resources or he might be stuck ordering stuff online and having it shipped. Hence the question of where..... Moot point since the question has now been edited to online suppliers.

• Members

As above really, looking to pick up a couple of body blanks in the US.

Anywhere any can recommend?

thanks

I would suggest going to a hardwood lumber store.

Let's say you want to make a tele with an african mahogany body. On ebay or stewmac, or specialty instrument wood supplier that wood will cost over $100 (I think there is a "instrument wood" tax)

A body blank is only about 4 board feet so you are paying around $25 per board foot.

At the local lumberyard where I shop African Mahogany sells for $8.50 a board foot and they carry 8/4 boards up to 14" wide. You also have the fun of selecting your grain pattern. Take your rough blank ($34) and a six pack to a cabinet shop for a trip through the planer and you are all set.

If you do have to buy online, try http://www.galleryhardwoods.com. The owner is a great guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived