Moved to a new area and want to do some solo/acoustic stuff.

• Members

I'm in the military and was recently relocated to the state of Washington. I mostly play guitar and sing alone now days. My style is mostly country music along with some classic rock and a little bit of alternative here and there. I haven't played publicly in a while since I was last stationed in Maine and there wasn't as much interest in my style of music there. But I did do some solo/acoustic stuff when I was in college at some local restraunts and it always went over well.

Anyway, I'm working on putting some of my old songs back together along with lots of new stuff and I'm excited about trying to get out and play at some of the local pubs/restraunts in the area. There seems to be a good audience for my style in the area. As you can probably see, I have a full time job, so music is more or less a hobby. More than anything, I want to get out and play because I love doing it. But eventually I'll probably look to get paid something for gigs.

I could really use some advice. Here is my current plan of action.

A friend of mine knows a couple of the bar-owners in the area and she said she could get me in playing. Well I figured for the first time or two, I would offer to play for just tips and see how things go. If things go over well, and they want me to keep coming back, then start charging something. I'm also working on some business cards to post and hand out.

I just figured with all of the experience in this forum, someone else has been down this road before and can offer some advice to help me get started here.

I do not have my own PA system right now, but that's somthing I am working on. As soon as I have the $$ I plan on spending somewhere around $2k for a good setup. I would just prefer have my own gear vice depending on house setups. You never know what youre gona get. I have two guitars with me right now, a Gibson Songwriter deluxe and an Alvarez Acoustic/electric.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

If I were you, I'd get a copy of the local entertainment paper, and look for venues that feature solos and duos. Small restaurants, small bars, wineries, etc. Go visit these places while people are playing and see what is being performed. Ask to speak to the manager or owner (if it isn't busy) and ask if you can come back and speak to them later if it is.

Look also for weeknight open mics. Lots of people have made valuable connections doing this, and there may be people who can steer you in the right direction and give you some venues and names to contact.

Other than that, it's just getting out there and meeting people and like every other phase of the music business, networking.

All the best to you.

Archived