48 Percent

• Members

We use promotional cards to get people to come to shows. I wont bore you with all the details, but for them to get the CD, they have to bring that card to a show. We also use the cards to see what promotion locations work best. In most cases we talk them into buying the CD/DVD we sell since it has stuff the free CD does not.

Okay, I can see that. You actually have a marketing plan. That's a good thing.

It means you maximize your profit to the highest possible yield.

Well, again, this can mean anything, or nothing.

I used to work for a savings and loan as a loan officer, and the VPs used to say things like this at our weekly 'strategy sessions' when they didn't really have anything to say. Sort of like "people, we need to be thinking outside the box for quantum profitability yields" or "the strategems of applied effort need to mesh with the matrix of projected goals."

What they really meant was "people, hustle your ass and meet sales quotas!"

• Members

Aren't you hurting your credibility and image when you give away too much?

Think about it... People are sheep. Image and perception is really important. If you give away your music (note that I am not against giving one or 2 singles, or a CD to someone important), you send the message to people that you don't care if they buy it or not. That you don't think it has any value.

People will get the message, believe me, and probably think you do it for fun only, and that your band is small and not credible.

That's how I see it.

• Members

Think about it... People are sheep. Image and perception is really important. If you give away your music (note that I am not against giving one or 2 singles, or a CD to someone important), you send the message to people that you don't care if they buy it or not. That you don't think it has any value.

People will get the message, believe me, and probably think you do it for fun only, and that your band is small and not credible.

That's how I see it.

This is true to an extent, but I still feel that you must define exactly what is being given away for free before attacking someone's marketing plan.

• Members

Well, again, this can mean anything, or nothing.

I used to work for a savings and loan as a loan officer, and the VPs used to say things like this at our weekly 'strategy sessions' when they didn't really have anything to say. Sort of like "people, we need to be thinking outside the box for quantum profitability yields" or "the strategems of applied effort need to mesh with the matrix of projected goals."

What they really meant was "people, hustle your ass and meet sales quotas!"

I just use economic terms since I got a minor in economics. I can't tell you anything about all those other terms.

• Members

That's how I see it.

If they like the music, they don't care. We work hard at making our shows entertaining.

I also said that not everyone gets a free CD (paper sleeve).

Just because verizon wants to give you a free cell phone, is your perception of them that they're cheap? Verizon also sells more expensive phones, just like we sell more a expensive CD/DVD set. The free CD is the hook. We up sell them at shows very well.

• Members

This is true to an extent, but I still feel that you must define exactly what is being given away for free before attacking someone's marketing plan.

Yes, that was my bad, making assumptions based on what I've witnessed from other bands. It's not fair to assume anything about anyone.

• Members

Yes, that was my bad, making assumptions based on what I've witnessed from other bands. It's not fair to assume anything about anyone.

...heh, but sometimes an educated guess or strong hunch can be right ;) Whenever a band is giving away their entire 10-12 song lp away for free, that's just dumb.

• Members

...heh, but sometimes an educated guess or strong hunch can be right
;)
Whenever a band is giving away their entire 10-12 song lp away for free, that's just dumb.

Let me ask everyone a question. Would you like more people coming to your shows and you making more money from your work?

• Members

Let me ask everyone a question. Would you like more people coming to your shows and you making more money from your work?

I've played in front of 2000-10,000 people crowds since 1998 (not all the time, just during festival season and for concerts). They generally pay 1000-1650 for 75-90 minutes, plus CD sales. I've done roughly 40-50 of those shows, and I never had to give away CDs to anyone but the promoters and the media writers. So if you're saying you have to give away CDs to random people to get in front of a crowd and make money, I call BS. If you're not saying that, then okay. It may be one way to get a crowd, but I question the wisdom of it at the shows you're playing (see my posts above for the reasons).

But it sounds like you're giving away teasers and promo cds as tickets, which is a good idea in some applications, and I don't have any issues with that.

As always, you're free to do whatever you wish regardless of what anyone else thinks anyway. :wave: If it works for you and you can honestly document on paper where doing what you're doing has proven beneficial, then who cares what anyone else thinks?

• Members

But it sounds like you're giving away teasers and promo cds as tickets, which is a good idea in some applications, and I don't have any issues with that. As always, you're free to do whatever you wish regardless of what anyone else thinks anyway.
:wave:
If it works for you and you can honestly document on paper where doing what you're doing has proven beneficial, then who cares what anyone else thinks?

We've established what I'm doing already, now we're on to something else.

• Members

i have a few CDs that i've gotten for free from bands. bands think that the cd will be played in the car, at a party, etc., and that others will go to their shows. this sounds good on paper, but i doubt the strategy works. if it did, there would be many more local bands making it big.

• Members

if it did, there would be many more local bands making it big.

There are dozens of bands that have benefited from giving away CDs. I know the Dixie Chicks use to do it all the time when they first got started here in Dallas. I still have one of their free CDs.

There is a lot more to "making it big" than this one, and very less effective, method of promotion. But everything counts. It's a numbers game. The more you do, the higher return you will get.

There is ROI, and especially ROTS. I could spend hours handing out fliers hoping someone will come, but giving someone a free CD because they have one of our "free cd" cards is about 5 seconds. It take a lot of effort on this person to get the free CD.

BTW, I should mention that just handing out free CDs to everyone is an extremely big gamble. I wouldn't do it and I don't.

• Members

That's a loaded question. Yes, I would like more people to come to my shows...but then again I don't need ten or fifteen more people asking me to sneak them through the back door of the venue. They didn't pay for my entire lp or any of the other merch., so why pay at the door?

• Members

That's a loaded question. Yes, I would like more people to come to my shows...but then again I don't need ten or fifteen more people asking me to sneak them through the back door of the venue. They didn't pay for my entire lp or any of the other merch., so why pay at the door?

It's not a loaded question. No one would like to have midgets running around nude at their shows.

• Members

Are you kidding? That would be awesome! Talk about creating a a buzz...
:thu:

Well, if the venue had a permit for it, but otherwise I think they and the venue owner would get arrested.

We have dancers, about as close to nude as you can get.

• Members

Naked midgets cost more than they are worth. You get publicity, but if you are small time, it costs you $1500 because of the Naked Midget Union, and if you are big time, then you become an exploiter. It's a lose-lose situation when using midgets in showbusiness.

Archived