agile as a precursor to a real LP, neck question?

flyinbryan

• Members

i would like to someday get a nice gibson les paul. i would however first like to test the waters with a les expensive (pun intended) test platform, and ive pretty much settled on the agile.

my question is, which agile neck profile would most closely mimic the feel of the real deal.

to my understanding they have the standard version like this one:

http://www.rondomusic.com/al20002tsf.html

and they have a "wide" model like this one

http://www.rondomusic.com/al20002tsflamewide.html

and they have the "slim" model like this one

http://www.rondomusic.com/al3100bkslim.html

if i understand this right, the slim and the normal have the same width fretboard, the slim is just thinner, and the wide, is actually a wider fretboard.

if i want to test the "LP waters", which would most closely mimic the real deal (or the most common lp necks if they vary from year to year)

• Members

i would like to someday get a nice gibson les paul. i would however first like to test the waters with a les expensive (pun intended) test platform, and ive pretty much settled on the agile.

my question is, which agile neck profile would most closely mimic the feel of the real deal.

to my understanding they have the standard version like this one:

and they have a "wide" model like this one

and they have the "slim" model like this one

if i understand this right, the slim and the normal have the same width fretboard, the slim is just thinner, and the wide, is actually a wider fretboard.

if i want to test the "LP waters", which would most closely mimic the real deal (or the most common lp necks if they vary from year to year)

I'm not an Agile guy here, so bash on me too hard, but to me it looks like the 'standard' you listed first would be equivalent to a Gibson 50's style neck profile, while the 'slim' Agile neck would be like a 60's style neck. The 'wide' I think would be similar to a PRS profile. Although I could be wrong...

• Members

I had an Agile AL-3100M, and switching with my '98 Gibby Standard there was no noticeable difference in the feel.

In fact, if anything, the Agile felt better than the Gibson because the fingerboard was ebony and was slick as anything (pig snot anyone?) :)

• Members

Not to knock Agile but your best bet is to go play a few Gibby LPs in a shop both 60s and 50s necks and then try to find a used Korean Epi in the local used market and make sure she feels right.

I have learned time and time again to never buy a guitar online. Even the exception for same model guitars I could try in a store, it is always best to physically play the guitar before buying. Just MHO.

Archived