How do I measure a pickup's resistance?

bengerm77

• Members

Voltmeter or multimeter? If it's the latter, then stick it on the resistance setting and connect the probes to the two contacts on the pickup (make sure the pickup's disconnected from the rest of the circuit).

• Members

it's a voltmeter. I'm boned, aren't I?

Yeah, pretty much, sorry. Ha, I love that expression... "I'm boned".

But you know you can get multimeters for about 5 quid now. I realise that probably works out at about US$100 these days (actually I can't really make that joke anymore - the pound is totally in the {censored}ter too).

• Members

google

you can measure batteries with a volt meter and thats always fun

I read that BIll Lawrence one time unwound a pickup and measured the wire...You could do that and with a little math figure out the resistance by how many turns it had but it might be tedious.

• Members

Yeah, pretty much, sorry. Ha, I love that expression... "I'm boned".

But you know you can get multimeters for about 5 quid now. I realise that probably works out at about US$100 these days (actually I can't really make that joke anymore - the pound is totally in the {censored}ter too).

You can get a digital mutlimeter for around $20 in the USA.

Well worth it if you're a DIYer.

• Members

If you have a multimeter that measures resistance, you can dime the tone and volume pots on the guitar and switch to a single pickup if you have a selector switch. Plug in a cable and measure ohms across the tip and sleeve and you'll be within 10% of the true value of the pickup...

Archived