Unorthodox Promotion

• Members

careful, if this is successful, you might have to 1099 the homeless guys...
:rolleyes:

:D

I'd be more concerned about the potential for vicarious liability in having a drunk guy as agent, esp as the prinicpal is feeding the dude alcohol within the scope of his employment :eek:

• Members

Oh you don't give the bum the wine till the job is done. So now what address do I send that 1099 to though hmmm?

probably wise, I mean don't expect to automatically and totally shield you from potential liability, but at least it's not reckless in big red letters (though the payment with alcohol could be problematic, maybe just give him the cashish)

it's just a risk exposure and your comfort level with it kinda thing...what level are you comfy with and all that

• Members

Alright, just thought of a new promotion technique, tell me what you think of this guys:

Simulated onstage assasination/murder, and not any of this shock rock cartoony GWAR bullcrap neither. If you've ever seen the movie "Velvet Goldmine" you know what I'm talking about. Some dude pulls out a prop gun, bang bang, guitarist goes down Dimebag style, halfway through the freaking show. Hey zing, that's some free publicity right there.

Holy crap, you might as well call me Guinness because I am BRILLIANT.

• Members

Alright, just thought of a new promotion technique, tell me what you think of this guys:

Simulated onstage assasination/murder, and not any of this shock rock cartoony GWAR bullcrap neither. If you've ever seen the movie "Velvet Goldmine" you know what I'm talking about. Some dude pulls out a prop gun, bang bang, guitarist goes down Dimebag style, halfway through the freaking show. Hey zing, that's some free publicity right there.

Holy crap, you might as well call me Guinness because I am BRILLIANT.

I like it. Be sure to double check the gun's chamber and make sure the rounds are blanks though :thu:

Velvet Goldmine is an amazing movie btw

• Members

I live in a concealed carry state. Pulling out a weapon and pointing it at the band,or anybody, might well get you shot by several people.

Now that would be a stupid way to die.

That being said, there has literally got to be a way to pull that off without risking some roadie getting capped.

How about this: I just don't show up to a gig, spent the night watching mythbusters and jerking off or something, and I get my guitarist to announce that I died in a rollover car accident. Then they do a whole show, only without me. That's art right there. Not only is it socially relevant, it's positively postmodern.

• Members

Now that would be a stupid way to die.

That being said, there has literally got to be a way to pull that off without risking some roadie getting capped.

How about this: I just don't show up to a gig, spent the night watching mythbusters and jerking off or something, and I get my guitarist to announce that I died in a rollover car accident. Then they do a whole show, only without me. That's art right there. Not only is it socially relevant, it's positively postmodern.

And you don't think that the minute people find out you're okay, that you wouldn't be regarded as the biggest douchebags in town?

The quickest way to get people to hate you is to abuse their sympathies.

• Members

Selling merch at another band's show is pretty low, and probably won't be very successful. Who's going to buy a CD of a band they've never even heard at a show they're not even playing at?

I agree. It's just rude and piggybacking off someone else's efforts. The only way this tactic is not a completely scumball technique is if you're friends with the performing bands or artists and they give you permission to sell your stuff on there merch. table. But showing up unannounced and with no connections is a quick way to end up outside with a black eye.

• Members

And you don't think that the minute people find out you're okay, that you wouldn't be regarded as the biggest douchebags in town?

The quickest way to get people to hate you is to abuse their sympathies.

It's postmodern. The most direct way to get someone to suspend disbelief is if they truly believe something. i.e. performance passed off as real life, as well as vice versa. It is not audience abuse or falsehood, I feel, but art in it's most basic form. I.e. Lying for the sake of truth. It's literally the final death of the fourth wall, the audience becomes as the performers and as a result, simultaneous artistic trancendence occurs.

• Members

It is not audience abuse or falsehood, I feel, but art in it's most basic form. I.e. Lying for the sake of truth. It's literally the final death of the fourth wall, the audience becomes as the performers and as a result, simultaneous artistic trancendence occurs.

:rolleyes: Something smells a little funny here...

• Members

I could actually come and hit you in my car, that way everyone wins! You get publicity, your band doesn't have you at the gig, and my 1998 subaru legacy outback 'shelly' gets to taste blood again.

Now THAT's unorthodox!

(and funny, too) :thu::lol:

• Members

Wow... or... carefully dissect the turds into bite sized pieces, dip in gourmet chocolate, and package carefully...

if your into hip hop you can always battle the headliner... (wich has happened and been succesful... somewhat.)

as far as techniques that are NOT detrimental to other's careers...

You could; A: win the lottery, B: solicit yourself in actions that would constitute meth or heroin addiction, or C: do your homework and make good music.

I go with C...

Archived