Ideas for a Broken Amp?

gergbee

• Members

Hi all,

I bought a bass that I am in the process of converting into a fretless. It came with a little practice amp which turns on but doesn't make any sound.

I am no electronics expert so I doubt I can fix it.

I am thinking of how I can use the amp chassis or whatever to create something else. I have thought of turning it into some way to go from my RP150 to the speaker for a little practice amp (no clue if that would work) or maybe using the shell to make some kind of amp kit? It doesn't have to be tubes...solid state would be fine if it makes some sound.

It's not that I HAVE to make something, I think it might be good for me to try it and learn a little in the process. I just don't know where to start.

Any ideas from anyone? Like I said, I have very little electronics background but I wouldn't mind trying something simple and cheap.

Greg

• Members
At least give it a shot, repairs teach you a bit. Then, when you realize it sucks, do your project.
:D

I actually took your advice. I figured, what the hell, I can't kill myself if the amp's unplugged and I open it up. I thought "what if it's something really basic like a loose wire?" I opened it up and "damn there's a loose wire!" So I feel a little dumb for starting this thread but at the same time, it kind of gave me the impetus to open 'er up.

Now I can give the amp to a kid (my original intention) or maybe the band teacher at the high school needs a practice amp.

I just wanted to say thanks for the kick in the ass to actually try to do something. :wave:

• Members

This was the wire from the board to the outputs. I was a little scared to actually open it up the top part, since I really have no idea what I am doing. I am glad I did though because I see there's a fuse in there too. Poor design means the only access to the fuse is by opening up the whole thing.

Archived