CMT Crossroads - Urban and Meyer

hardtdc

• Members

Anyone check this out last night? I thought it was pretty damn good actually. Both guys stoked the axes very well.

One of the most interesting moments was one conversation they were having and John Meyer was telling Urban how he thought Keith was the most melodic player he had ever seen. A lot like Clapton but took it to another level.

Keith told Meyer that he started listening to Mark Knopfler early on and was one of his main influences for developing his playing style. I never would have thought such but later on when they were playing, he started in on a slow blues lead and his bends were almost identical to some that Knopfler would do. Not a bad mentor to pick up your playing from.

I have really become a fan of Urban's guitar playing and think he's one of the best out there right now. This was a good show to catch and I'm glad I recorded it. Oh, Meyer played a Mike Campbell Duesenberg on several songs and sounded damn good too.

• Members

Great show, I recorded it too. Definitely two great players who do a great job of playing with others and blending into the mix while sounding outstanding individually.

I liked Mayer's comments on not having a significant other to help with the brain to mouth filter. Among his other talents he's a pretty good comedian.

• Members

I definitely need to check this out. I'm a big Urban fan. Keith has an original take on country. Keeps it simple, without the banjo rolls and pedal steel licks like Paisley or Mason etc. Meyer definitely has the SRV Blues thing down. Nice clean tones and cool vibrato and bending.

Archived