PRS gurus... how to get both humbuckers with 5 way switch?

cvogue

• Members

Hey PRS gurus... I'm wondering if there's an easy way to rewire the 5 way rotary selector switch to have both humbuckers on full blast (no splitting etc...). Is it possible to sacrifice one of the positions (9 for instance) and have that give me both humbuckers vice the outside coils of each pickup?

Thanks for any insight! :thu:

• Members

Check with PRS support. That tiny circuit board looks like a total pain to reconfigure, but my eyesight is pretty poor. Personally, if I were going to rewire, I would go with the McCarty wiring setup with a toggle and push/pull pots.

RS makes this ridiculously expensive prewired harness. I'm sure that you could do this yourself and get the exact pickup combinations that you want for a LOT cheaper. This is $100:

RPM_9287.JPG

Then again, if it's a $5000 ten top private reserve PRS, you're wealthy enough to afford this. You just need to enlarge the hole where the 5-way knob is.

Here are the options you get:

Optional 3-Way Toggle, Master Volume and Push-Pull Tone Control - Available on Customs, Standard Satins and CE

• Members

Check with PRS support. That tiny circuit board looks like a total pain to reconfigure, but my eyesight is pretty poor. Personally, if I were going to rewire, I would go with the McCarty wiring setup with a toggle and push/pull pots.

RS makes this ridiculously expensive prewired harness. I'm sure that you could do this yourself and get the exact pickup combinations that you want for a LOT cheaper. This is $100:

RPM_9287.JPG

Then again, if it's a $5000 ten top private reserve PRS, you're wealthy enough to afford this. You just need to enlarge the hole where the 5-way knob is.

Here are the options you get:

Optional 3-Way Toggle, Master Volume and Push-Pull Tone Control - Available on Customs, Standard Satins and CE

• Members

would rather not have to route out the hole on my CE!)

Why would you need to make another route? It would still be 3 controls: Volume-Tone-Pickup Selector. You would have a normal 3-way toggle instead on the rotary selector.

The process is simple: desolder the connections (2 wires) to the output jack and unscrew the pots in the guitar. Put the original parts in a safe place should you want to install them. Then install in the new pots and solder the 2 wires to the output jack and you're done.

Archived