what the hell is my guitar made out of?!

mic4h

• Members
bsman, bonenut, and the_gunslinger, thank you all for being the reason that most online forums suck. i really appreciate it.

flummox, i see what you mean... good metaphor. you think the wood type would matter if we were dealing with some high-end custom made work of art?

everyone else, thanks for the tips.

When you join a group like this one you come in unaware of the incessant and ongoing tonewood discussions that go on here. Too bad the search doesn't work because you could look it up and see that we have beaten it to death many times over. :deadhorse:
Seriously though, I forget which one but one of the high end custom guitar makers has a very good wood tone guide. Maybe somebody can post a link to it. But like everybody said, it's a natural material with varying properties from one to the next and if it sounds good to you and looks good to you then it's all good. :thu:

• Members

I know virtually nothing about strat construction.... So, is the custom shop stuff made of the same woods (alder, poplar, etc.)?

Generally custom Shops are made of Alder or Ash, and sometimes more exotic woods depending on the model. The custom shop just usually gets more premium cuts of Alder and Ash

Also to the person who mentioned Squiers are made of poplar, but that just isn't true.

Squiers are mostly made of Basswood, Agathis, and Alder. The Classic Vibe 50s Tele is pine, but they have hardly ever, if at any time, been made of poplar. Some of the older Japanese models are Sen ( Japanese Ash) and the Korean Protones were Ash.

Archived