Dead Seth Lover? Help!

dilin

• Members

Hi guys,

I've recently put a Seth Lover into the neck of my LP clone. Long story short, soon the signal from the neck pup died. Since it was new, I figured it was a botched DIY wiring job. So I sent it to a tech for a full rewire (switch, jacks and pots), and he claimed the problem is with the pup itself. Sometimes when I'm lucky, a few knocks on the pup will bring back the signal. But I have more luck giving the guitar a good shake though.

Is it a dead pup? Comments anyone?

Thanks in advance.

• Members

something is loose or broken...leads or maybe the coils have broken wires since when you
bang on it it
will sometimes make a connection. If you value the pickup send it in for repair. Where is up to you.

Actually, I find just shaking the whole guitar more effective as a whole. :D

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Dear forumites,

I've finally removed the cover off my Seth. Just a quick breakdown of what I can see:

Screw bobbin: one black wire leading off to the baseplate, two black wires which leads were taped with black masking tape. The wrapping was quite fragile, and I suspect that this was the cause of my problem. I've relocated these wires to a less cramped space, and rewrapped the masking tape, making it tighter against the leads.

There's a stray strand of AWG42 coming from the screw coil though. Is it normal?

Anyway, I got the pickup sounding again, until this morning, where it died on me again. Adjusting the high E pole piece cured it though. The pole piece did not come into contact with any wires, why does it affect the output?

Any thoughts? I would appreciate it. Thank you.

• Members

Seth Lovers aren't wax potted. While this makes the tone awesome...it also makes the coil winding wire exposed more to the elements. If a bit of enamel flakes off the coil can short out and die. It could also be where the coil wire solders down to the casing where the leads attach, or maybe some enamel came off where the wrapping tape attaches to the wire. Personally I would remove the pickup and check for continuity with a meter to the pickup itself.

If the meter reads something weird I would assume that the coil was shorted out. If that's the case your only hope is to have the pickup rewound. You might want to call Seymour Duncan and see if they don't want to do it for free. Some companies like doing that as a way of doing field research of their product...seeing how it failed. It couldn't hurt to try that. If you do have to have the pickup rewound, I guess basically weigh the cost of a rewind over a new pickup.

• Members

I just had a thought... The braided wire was coiled up pretty good in the cavity. As I move the E polepiece, is it possible that the polepiece touches the braided wire, thus grounding out the signal? Because I raised the pickup height higher now, and adjustments on the E polepiece, seems to have a lesser adverse effect. Could it be something this simple?

• Moderators

I just had a thought... The braided wire was coiled up pretty good in the cavity. As I move the E polepiece, is it possible that the polepiece touches the braided wire, thus grounding out the signal? Because I raised the pickup height higher now, and adjustments on the E polepiece, seems to have a lesser adverse effect. Could it be something this simple?

See Guitarcapo's post up there^^^^ man knows his pick up {censored}.

I've had a few pickups, although not an SD, where the hook up wire had a dry joint where it's solderede at the pickup end

Get a meter and see what readings you get at the end of the hook up wires and and at the terminals on the pickup, any difference you got a dry joint

Archived