Can someone give me a solid reason to use Sonicbids??

Croakus

• Members

I think Sonicbids is one of the biggest scams in the history of music. You pay $5 a month for nearly featureless webspace that would be free on a number of sites on the internet and all the great "festival and showcase" opportunities they let you hand over $25 a pop for are a complete joke too.

Sonicbids is NOT a legitimate means of getting your band involved in sxsw, cmj, et al. They might select a couple of bands and tuck them in a corner, but nearly all of their booking is done through traditional methods.

• Members

I think Sonicbids is one of the biggest scams in the history of music. You pay $5 a month for nearly featureless webspace that would be free on a number of sites on the internet and all the great "festival and showcase" opportunities they let you hand over $25 a pop for are a complete joke too.

Sonicbids is NOT a legitimate means of getting your band involved in sxsw, cmj, et al. They might select a couple of bands and tuck them in a corner, but nearly all of their booking is done through traditional methods.

Too bad for all of us regular people who don't have connections at CMJ, Bonnaroo, and SXSW have to use Sonicbids to submit our material :rolleyes:

• Members

Too bad for all of us regular people who don't have connections at CMJ, Bonnaroo, and SXSW have to use Sonicbids to submit our material
:rolleyes:

So you think by paying a third party you'll get more results?

How many gigs did you get by Sonicbids?! Are you working for them?

I'm sure they have deals to share the money they make on naive artists with festivals...

You have no garantee and you must pay in advance, how stupid is that? They host your EPK but how much do you think it cost them to just forward your EPK to a sponsor? Nothing.

They found a new way to make money by getting between us and festivals, like it was not already hard to make money.

I say fuck them.

• Members

So you think by paying a third party you'll get more results?

How many gigs did you get by Sonicbids?! Are you working for them?

I'm sure they have deals to share the money they make on naive artists with festivals...

You have no garantee and you must pay in advance, how stupid is that? They host your EPK but how much do you think it cost them to just forward your EPK to a sponsor? Nothing.

They found a new way to make money by getting between us and festivals, like it was not already hard to make money.

I say {censored} them.

Its easy to say that, but how else are you going to register for the event? Often you have no choice but to use Sonicbids as the middle man and that's it. I don't have personal contacts at the Isle of Wight festival, but I can submit a Sonicbids epk and make a few phone calls prior to sending it. But thats it.

• Members

:idea:Let me propose a plan/scam::idea:

What if I set up a web community where I charge bands $5 a month to promote them towards big festivals like SXSW. I manage to get hundreds of bands to sign on and pay their monthly $5 dollars. Then I PAY some festivals a few hundred bucks to let a couple of my bands get each their 20 min set at the smallest stage of the festival, playing at 2 PM. Maybe I have a "deal" with some individuals in the festival management that could make this happen. I now have a few examples of how my business gave bands some "truly amazing opportunities". I can then use these "success stories" to get even more bands to pay me $5 a month.

Sounds like a lucrative business to me. Wonder how long I could keep it going?

• Members

You sound like you're functioning from a position of desperation. That's a very bad place to be. You seem to think the only way to get a gig is by paying to put your name in the hat.

I've been playing professionally for fourteen years and feel very much the opposite. I see so much opportunity out there that I'm actually overwhelmed by it. I could play two gigs a day in a different city and never even know that Sonicbids existed. So why should I give them a cut of my hard earned money?

Also, you didn't answer the question. Have you gotten any gigs using this tool?

So my question was really phrased from the stand point of, "will this
further
my career?" You seem to be answering from the position that this is the only way to have one in the first place. My experience is that is not true.

Its not about desperation. I honestly don't know how else you could submit your music to the event promoters if they rely on Sonicbids. You could have a booking agent get you into some of the bigger festivals, but you by yourself as one band or artist is not going to do it. These festivals have got contracts with Sonicbids and they're not looking to break them because both organizations make good money off it. Bear in mind, I'm talking about the huge festivals...in no way have I advocated using Sonicbids to book a gig at the local pub.

• Members

Its not about desperation. I honestly don't know how else you could submit your music to the event promoters if they rely on Sonicbids. You could have a booking agent get you into some of the bigger festivals, but you by yourself as one band or artist is not going to do it. These festivals have got contracts with Sonicbids and they're not looking to break them because both organizations make good money off it. Bear in mind, I'm talking about the huge festivals...in no way have I advocated using Sonicbids to book a gig at the local pub.

So, why don't you focus your energies on obtaining a booking agent?

These festivals are already booked; they're just looking to offset their expenses...

As far as the music conferences go (ie. South-by and CMJ)? You actually play these things by getting on somebody's showcase--they have all the passes and whatnot. Yeah, you can try and register just to see if you can get on another random showcase, but no one's going to give a {censored} about you unless they already give a {censored} about you, you know?

Don't have connections? Well, why not? I know people that ran three seperate showcases at South-by and two of those also threw parties at CMJ this past year too. How did I meet them? Well, they're all local industry people. They work for local newspapers, festivals, and record labels and they all hang out at bars drinking the same Red Bull/Vodkas I do...

• Members

So, why don't you focus your energies on obtaining a booking agent?

These festivals are already booked; they're just looking to offset their expenses...

As far as the music conferences go (ie. South-by and CMJ)? You
actually
play these things by getting on somebody's showcase--they have all the passes and whatnot. Yeah, you can try and register just to see if you can get on another random showcase, but no one's going to give a {censored} about you unless they already give a {censored} about you, you know?

Don't have connections? Well, why not? I know people that ran three seperate showcases at South-by and two of those also threw parties at CMJ this past year too. How did I meet them? Well, they're all local industry people. They work for local newspapers, festivals, and record labels and they all hang out at bars drinking the same Red Bull/Vodkas I do...

So are you bashing Sonicbids users because they lack the resources to set up shows in the bigger venues and festivals?

• Members

So are you bashing Sonicbids users because they lack the resources to set up shows in the bigger venues and festivals?

No, I'm saying all these things require an enormous amount of money to put on and if anyone offers them a quick and painless source of income, they're going to listen. Sonicbids says, "hey, Festival A! You don't want to sift through 10,000 submission packets, so why don't you sign an exclusivity deal with us, we'll charge these assholes $25 to "submit" their work, and we'll split the earnings with you!"

If 1,000 no-name music acts hand over $25, Festival A just paid one of their sound companies they contracted for a day. See?

This isn't an easy shortcut for bands; it's a scam that benefits soncibids and the festivals they work with...

• Members

No, I'm saying all these things require an enormous amount of money to put on and if anyone offers them a quick and painless source of income, they're going to listen. Sonicbids says, "hey, Festival A! You don't want to sift through 10,000 submission packets, so why don't you sign an exclusivity deal with us, we'll charge these assholes $25 to "submit" their work, and we'll split the earnings with you!"

If 1,000 no-name music acts hand over $25, Festival A just paid one of their sound companies they contracted for a day. See?

This isn't an easy shortcut for bands; it's a scam that benefits soncibids and the festivals they work with...

So if a band doesn't have the money and reputation to garner a good booking agent, what do you suggest? To the bands from Hicksville, Montana who want to play the super chic CMJ showcases in New York btw.

• Members

I haven't been to any of those big festivals, but seems to me you are always up against someone bigger and better, a headliner, so it's really like being booked at the little pub in your hometown across the street from the big theater venue with the red-hot national act on the marquis. You'll have some walk-ins and a few of your regulars, but I don't really see the point in trying to get into one of those big festivals unless it's just a way to get in free and get kick-ass parking.

• Members

I understand where much of your Sonicbids hate comes from. It's obviously not a perfect system or meant to be extremely accomodating for artists. Either way, I need hard evidence and not something from another Internet forum. It sucks that one girl had a bad experience with Sonicbids, but thats one person. Did anybody even have the intention of weighing the pros and cons of Sonicbids before they answered this thread or did they just want to bash it?

• Members

A guy I know who has been gigging around Athens for over 10 years swears by sonic bids, he does graphic design and we asked him about putting together a press kit several months ago and he turned down the work and gave us the "sonic bids" speech, about the future of press kits, about how paper and print are dead, like Egon in Ghostbusters.

The only "successful" band I know personally as friends also has a sonicbids profile, they are arriving in Scotland tonight and will be touring Europe for the next month (just a couple of Cobb County miscreants playing acoustic bluegrass... )

No, sonic bids didn't make them successful, but when agents and promoters begin using sonic bids exclusively, doesn't seem like you really have a choice. When paper stuff and a bulky piece of square plastic shows up in a manilla envelope, does it end up in the trash? That's the real question that's yet to be answered.

Is sonic bids making a ridiculous killing? Absolutely.

• Moderators

I have always avoided Sonicbids because their EPKs look cheesey as hell and the whole site reeks just being yet another way to scam a few bucks of desperate bands. I'm sure somebody has gotten something out of it, but I doubt that many have.

As for CMJ and SXSW, based on my experience playing both, and on my conversations with other bands, press, etc on their experiences, I don't see a lot of point in applying to these conferences. Most of the bands that get good spots already have a ton of momentum behind them, and it probably doesn't matter much if they do it or not. The rest of us poor schmucks get to play shoebox-sized venues on five-band bills that compete with dozens and dozens of other shows going on at the same time.

If someone can explain to me how these conferences amount to more than an industry circle-jerk, I'd be happy to listen...

:confused:

• Members

You're the one speaking in support of SB and you've offered no pros. I'll ask this question for the third time. How many gigs have you gotten through Sonicbids? For that matter, how many times has your EPK even been viewed?

Furthermore, I linked to a post wherein a representative from Sonicbids has posted a great deal about their services in a very professional way. This isn't just a smash forum, I'm trying to discuss both sides. My current opinion however is that these guys are sharks. Especially after reading the info directly from a Sonicbids rep.

I think you're just trying to justify the money you've spent to yourself and perhaps your band members.

I totally gave pros. I said if you're a smaller band without resources or connections, it can be an easy to submit your information to bigger festivals and events. I personally don't use Sonicbids...not yet. But all this tak of "discussing both sides"...did you not just call them sharks? Thats not biased at all :rolleyes: Moreover, a bookie can throw away a physical press kit just as quickly as an electronic one. It sucks you have to pay for the Sonicbids epk, but thats the decision you made.

• Members

I've been looking at Sonicbids and can't really find a reason to use it. It's obviously popular, so what am I missing?

I can setup my own EPK on my web site. I can also submit my package to a lot of gigs without paying a submission fee.

Am I just not at that level yet? Seriously, give me some honest info here.

Thanks in advance!

What can I say? I gave you the honest info that I had.

• Members

Fair enough
;)

I've read a few of your posts. Sounds like we're at the same stage of our careers. Good luck! I hope we can meet face to face someday at some awards ceremony for a drink or two.

A drink or two? If its the American Music Awards or Grammys I'm goin up there like Axl Rose, drink in hand :cool:

• Members

People forget that you can send the Press kit to anyone you want WITHOUT paying a fee. All you need is the promoter's email address. The drawback being , you need to let the promoter know it's coming because spam filters will catch an EPK an toss it in the Junk mail folder. I've sent many EPKs this way. Saves me from having to pay to mail a bunch of bulky press kits to potential venues. After checking out the EPK I always give the venue the option to request a hardcopy for their records if they would like it.

• Members

People forget that you can send the Press kit to anyone you want WITHOUT paying a fee. All you need is the promoter's email address. The drawback being , you need to let the promoter know it's coming because spam filters will catch an EPK an toss it in the Junk mail folder. I've sent many EPKs this way. Saves me from having to pay to mail a bunch of bulky press kits to potential venues. After checking out the EPK I always give the venue the option to request a hardcopy for their records if they would like it.

Somebody give this man a pat on the back and a cookie cake. Thats the smartest solution thats been mentioned in this thread. But then again, what if the promoter just says use Sonicbids? And they put you in the junk bin.

• Members

Somebody give this man a pat on the back and a cookie cake. Thats the smartest solution thats been mentioned in this thread. But then again, what if the promoter just says use Sonicbids? And they put you in the junk bin.

Can happen for sure! You are at the risk of not being received. Always follow up with a phone call and a statement of please watch for an email from sonicbids. So far I have gotten no yes answers from the traditional route. I know summerfest, here in milwaukee, supposedly uses sonic bids exclusively. We've been on deck with them but got turned down late in the game.

• Members

Can happen for sure! You are at the risk of not being received. Always follow up with a phone call and a statement of please watch for an email from sonicbids. So far I have gotten no yes answers from the traditional route. I know summerfest, here in milwaukee, supposedly uses sonic bids exclusively. We've been on deck with them but got turned down late in the game.

Can you detail what happened with your Summerfest/Sonicbids experience?

Archived