So I have this old omnifex solid state amp... pedals an option?

45below

• Members

Hey guys.

Here's my idea:

I've got an old Omnifex 40watt solid state amp (my first ever... a $40 pawn shop rig) and was wondering if anybody had any ideas how it would take pedals. I was specifically looking at the MXR Distortion III (or Classic Distortion), the Fulltone OCD, or basically any other dirt pedal that would give me something fairly close to the tone I'm looking for (read below) I would also need a reverb pedal. I would be recording the amp with an sm-57

Any help would be awesome.

Here's the backstory if you're interested:

I'm in a bind... we're in the middle of recording our first CD and my electric guitar rig is, well, terrible. The tone I'm shooting for is a pretty general rock tone. (Social Distortion, Papa Roach, etc) (basically the Les Paul + P90s + Marshall sound). I was thinking about buying the Blackstar HT-5 with an Avatar Vintage 2x12 cab, mostly because (from what I've heard) you can get a lot of decent overdrive/distortion sounds from it, at quite enough volumes to record with. A new guitar was in the plans as well.

However, things aren't going as planned (have a car that turned into a giant money pit) and I'm on a strict budget. So, to save money and hopefully get something that is usable, I'm throwing a Super Distortion into my Squire (bridge position), but am still unsure what to do about the amp. I don't like the emulated line out sound from the HT-5, which means I cannot buy that alone without the cab.

Thanks again. I appreciate it.

Archived