Roland hpd-15

• Members

maybe this will be the year I stop triggering drum sounds from keyboards...

Anyone ever use the hpd15?

Can it be used to trigger bfd / Superior etc?

Or only its own internal sounds?

Is the feel any better than other finger triggers like the Akai mpd32 /Korg models?

Can you use the ribbon controllers to say .. send the signal out to control something else.. like controlling a solo violin sample on the daw?? (proably have to ask roland/vsl about that)

I checked out some Youtube vids and the hpd15 manual but still don't have some of these answers.

• Members

I've got the HPD-10. Very much the same as the 15. Just 10 pads instead of 15, and the sound bank is newer, and no ribbon. Personally, 10 pads is plenty - typically I only use 5 or 6 at the most at any given time anyway. More typical is using just 2 or 3.

Yes, the 15 sends and receives MIDI so you can trigger anything with it, VSTs, etc.

On my 10, I can set the MIDI channel for each pad, so yeah, I'd bet the 15 can do this to.

Here's what I've gleaned about the Roland hand-perc controllers: seems a lot of people buy them and just can't get the hang of them and ebay them off. There's always a bunch on ebay.

It does take some work and practice and thought to get the hang of using them. It's not as easy as just grabbing a djembe and wopping away. But the work really pays off - you can be very expressive with them. They respond to rim slaps and even to pressing the "drum head" for sounds programmed that way.

For someone who uses pads mainly to build up drum loops, I think the HPDs are probably overkill. But for anyone yearning for a more-real feel for triggering drums, and the ability to play with more subtlety, they are great. And of course, for any travelling drummer who wants 20-30 more instruments for occasional use, they save a ton of space. And the onboard sounds are quite good.

On my HPD I can set the MIDI channel for each pad, so the 15 probably does that, too. Meaning you can control different instruments off different pads. You can also mess with your DAW and probably achieve the same result, for example, Sonar has special drum maps (where individual notes are routed to different MIDI channels).

They seem hold their value in the ebay market, so if you snag one at a good price, you can probably sell it for close to the same.

And don't hit the thing with drum sticks. That's the deal with all the MIDI drum controllers - the sensors and pads wear out and are always expensive to fix. Don't let your buddies just whale away on it.....

Good luck!

nat whilk ii

Archived