Latest shop project - turn a dirt cheap neck into a player

webwarmiller

• Members

Almost a year ago Amazon was blowing out some Golden Gate necks (That's the brand Saga gives to its parts) for dirt cheap. I figured for $25 what the hell....here's the current listing at over double that price (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FB5YZE/ref=oss_product). It was OK when it arrived...finish was heavy poly, very orange, and there were numerous flaws in the finish. The good thing was the all the specs were right and the fretwork was pretty decent excpet for over beveled fret ends.

So, a few months later I finally got around to cutting out the traditional tele headstock. This, of course, left raw wood along the cut line contrasting the heavily tinted neck. At the time I figure I would attempt to match it at some time down the road.

Fast forward to about 3 months ago and I see a post where someone removed all the heavy, tinted poly from an SX neck with good results. Next thing I know I'm stripping it with CitriStrip as recommended in the SX thread. Barely any luck with the Citristrip so I go with what I know works: BIX. Well that was a double edged sword. It sure as {censored} removed the finish; but, with my brain on snooze, I forget to think of the plastic position markers. So those become all gummed up as well. At least the neck is now raw maple and I toss it in the parts closet.

So, now I have this Walnut tele body on the way and I need a neck for it. I'm thinking about going with Warmoth or Mighty Mite but then remember that stripped neck sitting in the closet. I figure I might as well give it a shot....if I don't like it I can always drop a better neck in later on down the road. So, I first have to address the position marker issue. Hmmm....walnut body, why not use some walnut dowels (nice to have a Rockler nearby). Today I drill out what remains of the black plastic position markers and use the Walnut dowels on the fretboard and Walnut filler for the side dots. I then roll the fretboard and bullet shaped the fret ends.

Anyway, now I just need to put a finish on the neck. I'll probably just go with an oil finish but I might shoot it with lacquer. After that I'll need to finish the fretwork (level/crown/dress). The neck really feels nice at this point....profile is nice although I wish it had wider 'shoulders'.

Anyway, here are some pics....unfortunately you can't even tell that he position makers are walnut in the pics (iphone pics combined with indoor lighting). In person you can definitely tell they are a dark brown instead of black.

imagekmw.jpg

imagezlp.jpg

imagezws.jpg

Archived