Which piece to play for Berklee audition?

wodbs_2004

• Members

Personally, don't worry about a flashy piece. Pick a VERY simple tune out of a "real" book, and work with your instructor for the next 9 months on breaking down the changed, using chord inversions to incorporate the melody into the changes, and include time for a short bit of improvisation off the main theme.

I like this because not only do you get a shot to impress upon them with your audition, but you can also afterward discuss the tune with the interviewer, including the underlying structure and the reasons for the choices you made in your arrangement.

Even something really easy like "Buster Rides Again" gives you a huge chance to impress twice - performance and UNDERSTANDING.

• Members

Having just read the thread about Berklee audition, I just felt like posting this thread.

I've got about 9 month to prepare for the audition. Seems like plenty of time but I just decided I'll just start preparing beforehand.

I am a blues guy, so I'm thinking about Hendrix version of Little Wing, but am looking for other options. I'm better at playing slower stuffs and pieces that has something to do with "feel" as opposed to speed and technique.

Any suggestions?

Anything from Carlos Montoya.

• Members

Personally, don't worry about a flashy piece. Pick a VERY simple tune out of a "real" book, and work with your instructor for the next 9 months on breaking down the changed, using chord inversions to incorporate the melody into the changes, and include time for a short bit of improvisation off the main theme.

I like this because not only do you get a shot to impress upon them with your audition, but you can also afterward discuss the tune with the interviewer, including the underlying structure and the reasons for the choices you made in your arrangement.

Even something really easy like "Buster Rides Again" gives you a huge chance to impress twice - performance and UNDERSTANDING.

+100

• Members

I don't really know a lot about Berklee. Back when I graduated high school (2000) and was looking at colleges, pretty much every music program required a classical audition. Some schools had contemporary programs that also allowed jazz. It was all very much based not only on performance, but I also had to sight read proficiently, take a piano exam, sight singing exam, and theory exam...

I don't mean to sound dumb but can someone explain the Berklee audition to me? Based on the recent threads it doesn't seem to jive with any program I looked at.

Archived