I really like the sounds this dude is making with his Tele

RufusFussbuster

• Members

I hate to be Debbie Downer here, but that was pretty poorly played. Don't get me wrong, I like Jimmy, but, hmmm.

Yeah, some of the live Zep is full of "character" like that (some of the BBC sessions stuff is brutal....they were obviously flying high as would anyone be), but I'm one that likes to hear the live stuff with mistakes, sloppy, etc. It just seems more organic and real to me.

• Members

Yeah, some of the live Zep is full of "character" like that (some of the BBC sessions stuff is brutal....they were obviously flying high as would anyone be), but I'm one that likes to hear the live stuff with mistakes, sloppy, etc. It just seems more organic and real to me.

Spot on, although I don't necessarily want to hear mistakes. :thu: What I don't need to hear is a perfect facsimile of the record. If I do, then I just listen to the record. That Knebworth show, or at least the stuff I've heard from it, is the best live performance on tape of Zeppelin that I've ever heard. It's like they took a step back from the bombast that they had become and exemplified on TSRTS and were just playing great music without a lot of needless schtick thrown in.

• Members

First Rolling Stone magazine used to rip Zep to shreds back in the day and now they bow down and worship them which baffles my mind, but I know they just go with the flow. Now every Zep post or video shown there is the guys in the crowd who have to talk about Pages sloppy playing and are mostly guys in there 20s who never saw him play and just run with what they have heard someone else say. I saw Zep back in 77 the 4th show of 6 and they killed it, and set a record for the longest show in history at the Garden up to that point. Yes Page could be a bit sloppy live and I attribute it to the way he wore his guitar below his balls to wear he couldnt even bar an F chord. Watch any clip of him seated playing acoustic and he will be as spot on as can be. In this day and age of Pro Tools where singers and guitarist are made to sound like they posses much more talent than they do it is refreshing to see clips of the greats doing it like it should be.

Archived