Tele wiring question - cap placement

LuckyBlackCat

• Members

While changing pickups in my new (to me) MIM tele, I noticed that the placement of the capacitor is different than that shown in the "Standard Telecaster Wiring" diagram on the Seymour Duncan site. The diagram shows the cap soldered from the middle tone lug to the back of the tone pot, whereas my guitar's cap is soldered from the middle tone lug to the right lug of the volume pot, which is in turn soldered to the back of that pot.

Is there really any difference or reason for this? I assume that since the backs of both pots are both connected to ground and therefore together, that there is no difference, but I'm curious anyways.

• Members

I stick the cap leg through the lug and then solder the leg to the lug and then to the back of the pot. (I think thats what you are talking about)

Bending the lug backwards to ground it is kind of a PITA.

this is how I wire mines:

telewiring2000.jpg

Yeah, that's how it is. Is it essentially the same as if I were to connect the cap from middle tone lug to back of tone pot?

• Members

btw try a .033 cap instead of a .047, thats what my Squier CVC came with. On my 52RI I use a .022 cap as per Fred Stuarts recs...

I actually did replace the original cap, which I assume was a .047, with a .022 as it was a little dark for me to begin with.

• Members

Some people use a 0.0033 cap. I'm thinking about it. The 0-5 on my tone knob does nothing for me.

I have a bunch of caps for mad cheap. I like to have lots of caps lying around. It beats buying "treble bleed mod kits" for like $5 a piece when you can get 25 resistors and 25 caps for $5.

Archived