N(cheap)GD -- Xaviere content

Fab4ever

• Members

I checked intonation last night but I was only using my clip-on tuner. I think my pedal tuner is a bit more accurate so I will check that tonight. But I also need to re-string it and I may file/sand fret edges a bit before putting new strings on and checking intonation.

• Members

Woody, thanks for the photo post.

McCain, thanks for the tips! I did not notice intonation problems, but I will double-check. I will have my tech replace the .047 cap.... just curious (and ignorant): will changing the cap value brighten or darken those pickups?

Yes it should brighten. I used a .020 that I got from stew-mac.

I think the "norm" for humbuckers are .022 and .047 for singles but the overwound bridge sounded better with the .020 and not shrill or ice-picky at all.

• Members

WTF is going on with Xaviere that they have all these string hole/bridge issues?

:) Don't know. These have defectively stamped bridge-plates and not the misplaced and mangled holes thru the body that I think you had?

But all these bridges are like this..you can see the crooked saddles in the pic on their website if you enlarge it and look close. http://www.guitarfetish.com/assets/images/products/guitars/JT90_SG_a.jpg

• Members

That is an ash body. You hit the lottery on that deal. Looks like a nice guitar. Saw the intonation issue reply, does yours have the same issues? Interesting hybrid guitar.

All the maple fretboard JT90's are ash. The alder ones are 2.5 to 3lbs lighter. You can easily see the cocked saddles in this pic http://acapella.harmony-central.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=335175&d=1306377335

Also fwiw these are 12" radius...not 7.5

• Members

So does that actually negatively affect the intonation of the instrument apart from the inherent flaws of the 3 saddle bridge? I'm guessing that even if the bridge were almost sideways, as long as the string is straight from nut to bridge saddle the guitar can still intonate.

Either way, this kind of stuff makes me steer clear of them regardless of how tempting prices can be.

• Members

So does that actually negatively affect the intonation of the instrument apart from the inherent flaws of the 3 saddle bridge? I'm guessing that even if the bridge were almost sideways, as long as the string is straight from nut to bridge saddle the guitar can still intonate.

Either way, this kind of stuff makes me steer clear of them regardless of how tempting prices can be.

Yes it affects intonation. You can easily see in this pic http://acapella.harmony-central.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=335175&d=1306377335 how the low E string contacts the saddle in front of the A string. The reverse of what you would want for correct intonation. The string-thru holes in the base-plate are too far towards the treble side and the intonation screw is pulling in the other direction, holding the saddle in that slanted position..

I would say the best way to deal with this bridge would be to top-load the 2 outer saddles and feed the middle (D/G) strings thru the body.

• Members

Yes it affects intonation. You can easily see in this pic
how the low E string contacts the saddle in front of the A string. The reverse of what you would want for correct intonation. The string-thru holes in the base-plate are too far towards the treble side and the intonation screw is pulling in the other direction, holding the saddle in that slanted position..

I would say the best way to deal with this bridge would be to top-load the 2 outer saddles and feed the middle (D/G) strings thru the body.

I'd go with Squier.

• Members

I'd go with Squier.

Actually the jt-90's are extremely nice except for the bridge which is replaceable. What spoiled the guitar for me was the 10.5lb. weight of the ash body. Alder would have been perfect.

I also have one of the sunburst alder JT-60's and it's very lite.

• Members

Say McCain (or others with experience): Would any tele bridge/plate assembly be a drop-in replacement on this JT-90?

You might want to contact GFS, send this thread, and ask about a non-defective replacement bridge. Or send it back if the guitar is too heavy. They should pay for pick-up and return shipping, and exchange it for the alder one you ordered? :)

I think? any classic 4 screw type with the thru-body holes at the back of the bridge that look like this should work.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_non-trem_bridges/Traditional_Bridges_For_Tele.html?tab=Specs#details

The modern type like this won't fit.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_non-trem_bridges/Gotoh_Modern_Bridge_for_Tele.html?tab=Specs#details

Cheap bridges.

http://www.azguitarparts.com/bridges.html

• Members

I bought an XV900 and after a fret job, bridge replacement and pickup replacement, it's a cool guitar. However, I'm not a modder. I believe in pickup upgrades but all that other stuff was a pain in the ass. Xaviere's are for guys who live to mod or beginners. As much as I enjoy my funky XV900, I'd never buy another Xaviere. Too much of a hassle, great prices not withstanding.

• Members

McCain, thanks very much for the tips!

BeanoBoy, I am still pretty happy with my $143 guitar. It looks fabulous, sounds really good and with a couple mods should be just the player I was hoping for.

• Members

I bought an XV900 and after a fret job, bridge replacement and pickup replacement, it's a cool guitar. However, I'm not a modder. I believe in pickup upgrades but all that other stuff was a pain in the ass. Xaviere's are for guys who live to mod or beginners. As much as I enjoy my funky XV900, I'd never buy another Xaviere. Too much of a hassle, great prices not withstanding.

I'd say with what you've described they are actully only good for modders. Beginners need an okay playing guitar out of the box, it's not a big deal if it has crappy pickups and cheap wood as long as it plays okay. Squier bullet strats fit this bill.

• Members

A little update: I took the strings off, filed, sanded and polished the fret ends and restrung on the stock bridge using the top-mount holes. Intonation is now right on and I'm really enjoying a great-playing guitar!

I will ask my tech to install a new .22 cap to brighten it up a tad... but it's actually a fine, if heavy, guitar now!

• Members

Man there is some deep rooted hate for Xavieres now. :lol:

Looking at the intonation situation, I think all you need is the bridge below. And heck if the mounting holes don't match up then just replace the saddles. I don't understand how going top load changes the intonation, but personally I prefer going string thru for increased down force on the saddles....my two cents. Cool looking guitar!!!

C19_b.jpg&maxx=0&maxy=300

• Members

You can elongate the bridges thru-body string holes with a round needle file, which I just did as a experiment, but the holes in the body are off as well so you'll need to partiality re-drill and elongate those as well. Plus notch the elongated bridge-plate hole a little to hold and keep the string from wanting to slide back to its original position.

:idea:Or you could drill 3 new intonation holes, roughly over the top-load A,D and high E string holes at the rear. The new holes for the intonation screws should force the saddles to slant in a manner that mimics a intonated saddle.???

Archived