New Electric for my daughter

Halo Storm

• Members

My daughter (11 years old) has been playing guitar for almost a year and she is doing awesome. She robbed me of my nylon string and loves it BUT she's been borrowing my back up guitar (Hondo II) and lil Crate amp to begin her electric journey.

Her birthday is in a few days so I took her around to several music stores in the area and we found her first electric today. She got a LTD EC-50 (Satin Black). We played several $200.00 dollar guitars and this one had the build, look (most important to her) and intonation that was great for the price. We played a Dean EVO (for $159.00 - new strings included) and it was like playing a "First Act" piece of junk.

I know the guy who owns the local "legit" music store (I'm doing a clinic for him in August) and he gave me a "better" deal which I appreciated.

The guitar goes for $199.00 on MusiciansFriend.com with free ground shipping and his floor price was $269.00 (he doesn't get price protection for ESP/LTD) but he gave it to me for $229.00. So for $29.00 extra she got to bring it home today instead of weight 5-7 days.

I'm happy/she's happy.

• Members

They are pretty well made instruments (is that one China, Indonesia or Vietnam?). ESP looks over their quality control like nobody else aside from perhaps Ibanez, but Ibanez have a unique feel to them that many don't like (including me). It is also a good platform to upgrade if she continues to play.

• Members

My 9 year old has been expressing a bit of interest as well. She's seen me go through about 200 guitars. She likes to plunk around on my Ibanez A/E but it's way too big for her. I've owned many many Deans and I agree, that EVO XM they have out right now is a total POS.

Archived