New pickups in my Tele (Lace/Duncan) - review

Karma1

• Members

I recently bought a limited edition '69 Tele Thinline reissue (white w/ matching headstock & maple board). I just did a pickup swap and dropped in a Fender Lace Sensor Gold in the neck and a Seymour Duncan Little '59 mini humbucker in the bridge w/ series-parallel switching. Wow, what a difference! I also replaced the stock 1 meg pots and put in 250k. The Lace is great for cleans with an almost Strat-sounding glassy, bell-like tone, but still retaining the Tele character, and totally hum-free. I've got Lace Sensors in my Strat (Silver/Gold/Blue) and I like them a lot, so I was curious to hear how the Tele version sounded - very nice.

The '59 is a whole different story. I'm not that into the traditional Tele twang and wanted something fatter-sounding with more punch and sustain. I mainly use the bridge pickup for high gain distorted leads, and this pickup rocks!. Even though it's a Tele, I can get that thick soaring Santana tone that I go for. Switching it to the parallel setting, it's not as fat or high output, but it offers more note articulation, so I'm glad I have both options. The parallel setting blends nicely in the middle position with the neck pickup for more chime and sparkle on clean tones - good for funk rhythms too. I've had Little '59's in Tele's before, but this is my first Thinline, and I'm very happy with how the Duncan sounds in it. I've played it so far through my Mesa Boogie Studio 22+ and Fender Super Champ XD and both sound great, but the Fender's clean channel with the Lace Sensor, and a bit of reverb and chorus is really sweet. I took it to a band rehearsal last night with the Super Champ and everyone commented on the tone.

This is kind of an unusual combination of pickups for a Tele, so I thought some other people might be interested to read about them.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Interesting. Late bump (hmm 3 years) but I've been looking for someone's review of a crossover Lace/reg PU setup. I'm thinking of doing the opposite.. I only heard the Dually hb-size Lace in the Tele Plus.. I like it for a processed tone. I love the mellow tone of a vintage lipstick neck.. Wondering if I should try a Suhr Tele neck PU with the Blue-Red Dually...

• Members

Sure is! Sorry I know bumping old threads annoys some, but it seems like non-ventured territory.. my buddy has a Tele Plus with the Lace pickups and it just has amazing versatility. It can do funk, studio pop/rock stuff, metal.. shreds and sings. These Tele Plus are getting high in value and I'd like to just mod my MIJ Tele.

The Plus is missing an organic ultra dynamic vintage tone, which is why I'm very perked by the idea of mixing a vintage neck SC w/the Lace Dually bridge.. the OP did the opposite, had the Lace SC in neck and Duncan HB in bridge, but I personally like the versatility of a Dually Lace...the HB setting on the Tele Plus sounded great for processed heavy sounds (Axe-FX)..

I love the Suhr neck PU on my Tele.. not the craziest fan of a standard Tele bridge pickup, love the blend, but the Dually is interesting. I'm just wondering if there'd be output issues and what not with this kind of a PU setup.

Archived