CDBaby vs. Tunecore

sabriel9v

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's really weird you should post this. I just signed up with them myself, finishing up not ten minutes ago!

I guess we'll find out how it goes, eh?

What was the deciding factor to do this vs. CDBaby? Was it the a la carte thing? Can you elaborate on what you're doing? I can't wait to listen to more of your tunes. Will you be paying to put them on Napster? I'm a subscriber. But then again, I could just buy the cds. :)

• Members

What was the deciding factor to do this vs. CDBaby? Was it the a la carte thing? Can you elaborate on what you're doing? I can't wait to listen to more of your tunes. Will you be paying to put them on Napster? I'm a subscriber. But then again, I could just buy the cds.
:)

I actually use CDBaby for my hard copy distribution, and they treat me well.

What made me try tunecore was Peter himself in the digital distribution forum. Any guy that works that hard to answer questions and participate in the forum without spamming deserves a shot, IMO. We'll see how the service works, but I had a good feeling about it, so I went with it.

So far, I'll only have the one CD you have on it. If it does okay, I'll put up some of my older stuff.

EDIT:

My last CD you have minus the 3 cover tunes.

CDBaby wanted me to upload the entire CD, and I just didn't want to promote the covers, and anyway I'd have to pay the royalty on them. I already don't make much as it is.

• Members

what's this about SNOCAP going under? i would think with the myspace connection it is doing alright.. does that mean it's not a good idea to put up music there at this point? the myspace integration is really a pretty good selling point.

• Members

what's this about SNOCAP going under? i would think with the myspace connection it is doing alright.. does that mean it's not a good idea to put up music there at this point? the myspace integration is really a pretty good selling point.

This is a great article that I suggest everyone here read. It's eye-opening, to say the least.

Here's a quote:

Filling the void [of hard copy record stores] are a host of online new companies with enthusiasm but no better economics. Giant Apple, propelled by its itunes franchise, sells more than a billion dollars of music per year and the best estimates are a break even or tiny profit margin.

They don’t mind because ipod hardware is where they generate the profits. For digital music vendors without an ancillary business to lean on, selling music is a money loser.

Read the rest of it here:

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/14340

http://valleywag.com/tech/digital-music/new-details-on-snocaps-cd-baby-breakup-313434.php

• Members

CDBaby tracks end up all over eMusic where people can download everything for free

yeah, it's a *subscription* service that gives away free trials where you can sign up and then download 50-100 songs for free, then cancel immediately

that doesn't set right with me

Tunecore would seem to be a better option IMO

• Members

Tunecore may have a $20 annual fee and 1 time upload fee, but there's no commission. CDBaby charges 9% AFTER the Itunes/Rhapsody/Napster/ETC commissions. If you plan to sell 20 downloads, you are better off with Tunecore, revenue-wise.

Also, my understanding is that the wait for your album to get on Itunes et al is strictly a function of the individual vendor (Itunes, Rhapsody, etc) not your distributor, in other words, CDBaby doesn't have some kind of express lane that gets their customer's music up any faster than tunecore, or any other distributor.

Furthermore, tunecore pays you when they get paid, Itunes may calculate sales every 30 days and send the money 2 weeks later, when tunecore gets the money, you get it at the same time. Napster may calculate quarterly, and send out checks 4 times a year. Again, when Tunecore gets the money, you get the money, same time. CDbaby doesn't get paid any faster than tunecore.

I've researched the hell out of this, and this is my conclusion. We are going with Tunecore. Already have the account. Waiting on album ...grrr....

• Members

I'm signed up with CD Baby for digital distribution. For my first album, it took about 9 months to get onto Rhapsody and Yahoo!Music. Once there, I did get a decent amount of plays.

For the second album, it's been nine months and still waiting.

Is this the general waiting time? Has anyone had any better luck using Tunecore?

That said, I'm grateful that CD Baby has gotten me onto iTunes relatively quickly.

• Members

Tunecore may have a $20 annual fee and 1 time upload fee, but there's no commission. CDBaby charges 9% AFTER the Itunes/Rhapsody/Napster/ETC commissions. If you plan to sell 20 downloads, you are better off with Tunecore, revenue-wise.

Cool, thanks for the great info. I think for my old band's stuff, I'd just like to get it out there and keep it out there for posterity sake. I doubt it will sell more than a handful a year. But I could be wrong. So I'll probably go the CD Baby route with that stuff. That way, once it's out there, it'll stay out there.

On the other hand, if I put out a new album and I'm really promoting it hard, I'd probably use TuneCore until the sales dropped below 20/yr. Then I'd drop TuneCore, let them pull my stuff, and then put it back up using CD Baby.

Too bad TuneCore doesn't just give you an option to go either way.

Thanks again,

Michael

• Members

Tunecore may have a $20 annual fee and 1 time upload fee, but there's no commission.

There's no commission from tunecor, but I believe all the paysites take a cut if they sell something. The average profit for the artist on a 99 cent song seems to be around 60 -70 cents per.

On the other hand, if I put out a new album and I'm really promoting it hard, I'd probably use TuneCore until the sales dropped below 20/yr. Then I'd drop TuneCore, let them pull my stuff, and then put it back up using CD Baby.

I don't think tunecore is a hard copy distributor, but digital only. You might want to go over to the digital distro forum where Peter Wells from Tunecore hangs and ask him directly.

• Members

Ok, I just had a brain fart. I don't think my math on this is quite correct. Let's assume that an album has 10 songs on it. If I sell two albums a year on Tune Core (digitally, thanks BlueStrat). That's the break even point. If I sell 4 albums annually, TuneCore gets half, I get half. How many albums would I have to sell to equal the deal on CDBaby (9%)?

From high school algebra, it works out like:

.09(x) = $20 fee (or 20 song downloads (or two albums downloads))

x = 20 / (9/100)

x = 20 * (100/9)

x = 222.22 song downloads = 22 albums / year?

Is my math right? To equal the deal at CDBaby, you need to sell 22 albums a year annually? This doesn't include the other fees for uploading the files. Less than that number and CDBaby is actually a better deal?

Someone check my numbers.

• Members

Random question

Do Tunecore and Kunaki offer cd replication services or duplication services?

Kunaki offers cd manufacturing. I've used them and was disappointed with their quality. I had one disc that wouldn't play (that I know of) and about 4 of the jewel cases arrived cracked. (This was out of a run of 75).

• Members

Kunaki offers cd manufacturing. I've used them and was disappointed with their quality. I had one disc that wouldn't play (that I know of) and about 4 of the jewel cases arrived cracked. (This was out of a run of 75).

I know they offer cd manufacturing. But I'm talking about cd replication which involves actual glass mastering or duplication which is just burning a cd.

• Members

There's no commission from tunecor, but I believe all the paysites take a cut if they sell something. The average profit for the artist on a 99 cent song seems to be around 60 -70 cents per.

I don't think tunecore is a hard copy distributor, but digital only. You might want to go over to the digital distro forum where Peter Wells from Tunecore hangs and ask him directly.

That's right. Itunes pays 70 cents for a 99 cent download, you get 70 cents with tunecore. CDbaby takes 9% of that 70 cents.

Tunecore does distribute and manufacture CD's. It's done through a ministore provided by tunecore you can put on your website or myspace or whatever, and people can order your CD through tunecore and they handle everything. They take $2 for each one sold, CDbaby takes $4. Tunecore also adds $2 for shipping, paid by customer, not by artist. So, as an artist, Tunecore wins there too, the only drawback is the buyer has to go to your site to buy it, but I don't think that's a bad thing personally. If they like you enough to buy the disc, then surely they know your website.

• Members

That's right. Itunes pays 70 cents for a 99 cent download, you get 70 cents with tunecore. CDbaby takes 9% of that 70 cents.

So, CD Baby gets 6.3 cents per download. Tunecore takes 0, but charges 20 bucks a year. You's have to sell about 350 downloads on CDBaby to pay what tunecore charges for a year.

I see advantages to both systems.

• Members

350 individual songs, yes. But 63 cents per album, using Itunes as the example, that makes up 20 bucks pretty quick.

Yes indeed, that's one of the advantages to tunecore, though I don't yet know how easy it will be for me to sell 30 albums in a year on itunes. I do more than that with hard copies with CD baby, so we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

It concerns me to hear this, as I've used Kunaki a lot.

For what's it's worth, I've ordered a few hundred, and so has a friend, and the worst I've seen is the very occasional slightly cracked case.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

how honest is cdbaby and tunecore with respect to revealing actual download information? do either tell you where geographically the purchases were made?

read this on snocap...

Tunecore merely distributes your stuff to e-tailers like i tunes, amazon, etc. They also set you up with a pay pal account that causes downloads to be deposited into your account as soon as they're purchased.

Can't tell you about CDbaby because I only use them for hard copy distro. But I trust Derek Sievers implicitly. You don't get the good rep these guys have by screwing your clients.

Archived