Push/Pull pot wired as a bypassble tone control?

zephyr

• Members

That shows what I said, it will work. Neither end of a tone pot is grounded. On your vol pot, one end is grounded.

fwiw, a tone control in a guitar is a low-pass circuit; lows pass by it (and continue out to your amp) while highs are shunted to ground. The cap controls what frequencies are passed and the pot (wired as a variable resistor) controls how much of the highs are passed to ground. Lift the end of the cap going to ground and you effectively remove the path to ground for the highs.

• Members

Essentially yes, another path to ground, THROUGH the cap, which controls what frequencies are bled to ground. Roll your tone control to 0 and you will hear mostly bass freqs through your amp because your highs are being bled to ground ground through the cap.

• Members

Am I supposed to wire the "output" from the tone control to the output jack in addition to the output from the volume?

I found another diagram with a different setup, but this in-out thing is confusing me. I don't see where the output is supposed to go (don't see an output on the tone control in any diagrams I've looked at so far, just a connection to ground).

• Members

There is no "out" on a tone pot (technically, I guess there is an out for the highs it pulls off and that out is ground) - it connects to either the 5-way on a strat, or when it's wired as the only tone pot (how I usually do it, regardless of strat/tele) to the "in" to the vol pot. The tone pot has an "in" and it works by siphoning off highs FROM the signal going to the vol pot.

• Members

[ATTACH]339833[/ATTACH]

Here is another one I found.

This one also seems to have a wire going in from the volume pot, but then illustrating a wire out to somewhere.

And if the switch is only taking the cap out of the equation, isn't the pot still functioning as a resistor?

Wouldn't the entire signal shunt to ground?

I wonder if it would be easier to set up the volume as a puch pull and have the switch simply kill the signal to the tone control...

If I can find a diagram for it.

I'm thinking I'll probably end up taking it in to have it done...

:p

• Members

Prepare yourself for a truly bad drawing.

Would this work?

Wire everything normal, except use a push pull for the volume and connect the tone control via a switch lug. When the switch is down, the tone control is connected, when it's up, the path is broken.

Not sure if that makes sense or is feasible. The signal from each pot lug is represented by one of the 3 pairs of switch lugs, I think?

[ATTACH]339834[/ATTACH]

• Members

Whoops, I messed it up. Ya that wire is from the selector switch. I assume that the signal from the PU selector goes to the left lug on the pot, then goes out in tandem from the upper left lug on the push pull switch when it is down, but is cut when pulled up. I think...

Archived