Reversed pickups

bfloyd6969

• Members

It seems that the "normal" positioning for covered humbuckers is the poles closest to the bridge for the bridge pickup, and the poles closest to the neck for the neck pickup. I believe I read on the Dimarzio site for a certain set of their humbuckers that they liked this setup reversed in that the poles were closer to the middle of the guitar for both the bridge and the neck - they stated that it was almost Tele sounding. Before ripping into my 'bucker equipped guitar and reversing the pickups to give this a try, I thought I'd ask to see if others have tried this and what you think of the results. Thanks.

• Members

If by "poles" you actually mean the "adjustable poles" (the ones with screws in them instead of slugs), I like them the typical way because for my neck pup, adjusting those poles adjusts the pup's mellowness. And on the bridge pup, adjusting the adjustable poles changes its bite. Make no mistake, you really do have a good range of tonal control by adjusting the adjustable poles. I "tune" most of mine this way.

Archived