Electric Guitar Selection Help Request

Operator

• Members

So, I was saving up for Gretsch Duo Jet, because I think they're really beautiful--perhaps, the most beautiful--and I played one in a store and it felt and sounded incredible. I've never spent that much on piece of musical equipment, but I've been playing guitar for 14 years, and the guitar I bought in 2002 isn't really suiting my needs any more.

Anyway. Sometimes I get fixated on needing a thing without considering other (cheaper) options. I was hoping you know a lot about guitars and can give me some other things to think about.

stuff I like:

Thicker, U-shaped necks.

Bigger frets, maybe.

Tremolo. I use surfy bends a lot.

Pickups that sound inbetween... P-90s, Filtertrons, Dynasonics, etc. Basically stuff that has a crisp, biting treble, and warm lower mids. Even Tele pickups are nice, truthfully.

Classic, art deco style appearance, but this isn't so important.

stuff I don't like about my current guitar, a Fender Big Apple.

Neck is soft C shaped and isn't very comfortable, because it's too small. Combined with the smaller frets that have undergone a levelling, bending is chording is obnoxious. The thicker neck of the First Act tele copy I have feels much better.

The versatility of the humbuckers + coil splits is really nice, but both sounds are on the other ends of what I like. The humbuckers are a little too congested and dull, the split coils are too thin and quacky.

I don't know, are there cheaper, great-playing guitars that fit this criteria that I should be considering before trying to save up $1500 for a guitar?

• Members

I think the only way you can know, for sure, is to take a weekend and go play everything you can get your hands on. Only then can you make an informed decision (and even then, other options will rear their ugly heads!). Don't forget to shop used - big savings to be had.

• Members

honestly, i think you should just go for a used duo jet.

if you've been waiting this long for one, nothing else will live up to it until you actually have had the experience of owning one.

you can always sell it later, duo jets hold value extremely well.

Archived