Gonna Build a Partscaster Superstrat...what do I need to know?

Brainfertilizer

• Members

I want to make a partscaster based on Brad Gillis' strat:

Red, black pickguard.

But I'm probably going to put an ebony fretboard neck on it.

What do you think:

1) Locking nut? Roller nut? Or just locking tuners?

2) Kahler trem? Or Floyd Rose? Or an Ibanez ZR?

2a) Kahler seems the easiest to add to a guitar body not already routed for it. Should I keep looking for a body with Floyd Rose post holes already drilled? Or can I use a Dremel tool to rout out a traditional strat body and still be successful?

3) What do I need for soldering? I've got a cheap soldering iron...how much should I spend on a decent one? What brand? From where?

4) P-rails? HSS? What about a P-rail in the bridge and a single coil in the neck?

I was thinking of an H/S with 5-way and a 3-way.

The 5-way will control the bridge HB and give me: "Bypass, HB in series, HB in parallel, Single coil, and off". The 3-way would control the SC and give me "Off, on, phase reverse"

But if I got P-rails, then the 5-way would have to be set up like "full in series, full in parallel, P-90, single coil, and ?" The ? could either be off or bypass.

Or I could go:

5-way: HB in series, HB in parallel, P-90, SC, HB phase reversal

3-way: SC in series, SC in parallel, phase reversal

But all the possibilities are confusing me.

Most of the idea are coming from here:

http://www.1728.org/guitar3.htm

But what I'm thinking is I want to use a normal strat pickguard, but swap out one of the tone knobs for a 3-way switch.

I'm just trying to get the maximum number of tone combinations with the 5-way and 3-way.

If I need to, I can use a push-pull for the tone or volume knob to add more choices...perhaps that's a better way to add in phase reversal or switch from parallel to series?

Archived