So vinyl albums...

sxyryan

• Members

I've started getting back into vinyls over the last two weeks or so. I'm 24, so I missed the majority of the first vinyl era, but being into music for as long I can remember, I had a big stack of albums from my parents/aunts/uncles/yardsales.

Kind of got out of it since I love the portability of digital files, and came to a realization. I don't like just purchasing digital files, but when I get CD's I tend to just rip them to a computer and forget about them. A lot of vinyls now have the MP3 version included in it, so you get the best of both worlds. Turntable at home, iPod on the go.

So anyway, ordered my first couple modern vinyls and I got them yesterday. Loving it. I don't know what it is, but there is just something to that noise the needle makes when you touch it down... I'm not running a big audiophile setup so I don't hear much difference between a high bit rate digital file and a clean album.

But it got me thinking, so much has changed in the music industry over the last 30 years or so, I was curious, is the whole process the same? The albums I bought this week, is the tech the same as the vintage ones I have? I know turntables have gotten some modern touches, but what about the actual production of the albums themselves?

Slightly off topic:

I ordered Jack Whites's Blunderbuss and St. Vincent's Strange Mercy. I feel the need to thank whoever posted about Annie Clark a few weeks ago, I am in love with this band/her. Blunderbuss is great too, but I've only listened through once.

Archived