What Do I Need To Record Clips/Make Demo Videos? (Tech Nerds, Enter)

• Members

Ok, I've come into a touch of money and one of the things I've wanted was the setup to record clips/songs and make demo videos.

I realize a computer is thing #1, and I have a nice one on order. So there's that.

What else? An Interface right? What's a decent one? I don't know what their price range is so just a good solid reliable one.

Also, a mic, SM57?

Also, a camera right? Is there a camcorder is small and takes good stills? Not like National Geographic amazing, but good.

That stuff is easy enough, but I could have all that stuff in front of me and have no idea what to do.

What's good recording software? What's good video editing software? Is video editing hard? I've not done anything like that for a long time.

Someone give me a crash course! (or link me to something good)

Oh, my computer will be a PC btw.

My thanks in advance!

• Members

Not sure how serious you want to get but I have been using the Apex440 USB mic. Sounds decent enough for my application. Felt fairly mesmerized by all of the professional recording software that I encountered so I stuck with good old Audacity. Plus it's free. As for video I have no clue, haven't ventured too much into that area. Hopefully some of that helps.

A couple of tracks recorded with the Apex here....

http://soundcloud.com/thesonofthom

• Members

BUMP!

Not sure how serious you want to get but I have been using the Apex440 USB mic. Sounds decent enough for my application. Felt fairly mesmerized by all of the professional recording software that I encountered so I stuck with good old Audacity. Plus it's free. As for video I have no clue, haven't ventured too much into that area. Hopefully some of that helps.

A couple of tracks recorded with the Apex here....

I'd like like a quality mic that will last me or at least retain it's value. The SM57 beta's the one right? Like the standard in decent guitar mics. Right?

As far as software, yeah, I don't want pro tools. Something more akin to garage band, but on a PC. Will check out audacity.

Archived