Tool - What am I missing?

vanlatte

• Members

Originally posted by Sentient Hairpiece:

Listen to all the songs, but skip over all of the "filler" crap in between...that breaks down to like every other song. This mainly applies to their last 2 albums :0/

I like that "crap", it creates some contrast in the whole cd...

------------------

My Personal homepage - MPCman's E-drum Picsite! currently with 14 profiles

• Members

Originally posted by agogobill:

Narada Michael Walden with Mahavishnu - Visions of the Emerald Beyond, Apocalypse.

Billy Cobham with Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness and Eternity

Lenny White with Return To Forever - various

Dave Weckl with Chick Corea.

Curt Cress with Passport.

Brian Davison with Refugee

Various time signatures used, drummers are using the whole kit.

The point I really wanted to make was that it(Lateralus) really didn't live up to all of the hype that I'd heard about it. No question about Mr. Carey's abilities ... he's very good.

There's your break, if you ask me.

[This message has been edited by agogobill (edited May 11, 2002).]

Alright ya got me. I should have said "name one album in a relatively similar genre..." Of course there are other drummers that play as complex of rhythms as Carrey, but you have to admit his style is quite unique, especially in the hard rock/metal/whatever you want to call it category. And of course, nothing ever lives up to hype, if it did it wouldn't be hype.

• Members

I can still kinda argue with that though. I think he may be the only drummer to use drums as tonal instruments. Like guitarist create riffs, he does the same for drums, its not just drumming with fills, every part has a distict "riff". The others, such as weckle and cobham play amazing parts, but they don't, IMO, write tonal drum parts, its still percusion. That is why I think mr. carey is amazing. Listen to .. errr, I can't remember,, either reflection or disposition for an example. Ticks and leaches is another example. The way he uses the high hat is also like a lost art. He does it all, and at the same time.

------------------

"I have Loud_Snoring.WAV as a default in the config.sys file of my Sleep.zzz file." -- Rippin' Robin

• Members

Originally posted by MPCman:

I like that "crap", it creates some contrast in the whole cd...

I think your right to a point, but they take it a little far. In bores me when it goes on and on. Less "contrast" more RAWK! jk :)

[This message has been edited by Sentient Hairpiece (edited May 14, 2002).]

• Members

wheeeww... good thing I covered myself with the "may be". I figured there were lots other drummers like him, but usually the band don't go together like they do. I'll give him a listen when I get some money. I just think that it is so effective in rock music, too bad there are not more drummers like him in rock. (good rock bands though)

------------------

"I have Loud_Snoring.WAV as a default in the config.sys file of my Sleep.zzz file." -- Rippin' Robin

• 5 months later...
  • Members
Tool...what a bunch of tools...or just...

Or just you being stupid as hell made you say something like that.:rolleyes:
And vanlette, if you don't like the way Maynard sings I am sorry but you're beyond salvation.:( I can't tell you what you are missing as far as Tool as concerned because there are too many things to name.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived