NAD! VHT Standard 12

datru

• Members

After months of wanting a 5E3 tweed style amp, I ended up getting this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=346256&d=133

It's a VHT Standard 12. While the cover is not tweed, the amp circuit is, and sounds great.

I got hooked on wanting a tweed deluxe after playing a Fender 57 Deluxe in a store. The sound startled me, it was so good, which never happens for me when testing in a store. The problem was the 2000 dollar price, so I started looking at kits online.

The cheapest ful kit out there was still going to come to around 550-600 bucks and I wouldn't be able to hear it ahead of time, return it, or get a warranty. I looked forward to the challenge of building one, but I also knew that there could be a good chance that I would screw it up.

I started looking at this VHT amp online. When Amazon started selling it for more than 300 below what MF has it for, I jumped. At the price I paid it's less than any kit.

The amp seems very well built and sounds excellent. Very responsive to playing dynamics, pick attack really makes a difference in sound. While no reverb or vibrato, it sounds very full and lush with the guitar plugged straight in. I am impressed so far.

It's hand-wired in San Francisco, with a Celestion 12" speaker.

I just got it, so I won't make a final call on this until I've had a few days playing on it, but I think it's going to stay.

:thu:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]346256[/ATTACH]

• Members

what tubes are in it? when do you get break up? Mines not breaking up until its almost cranked, Id like to get the sweet spot down to 7 or 8.

almost forgot the boobs

mind-the-gap-02-28-12-12.jpg

The tubes are the Chinese "Electron" brand they all ship with. I haven't been able to crank it yet, but I suspect that I will have similar results to yours. I might try swapping some tubes down the road, but I'll wait for the speaker to break in first.

That is, if I keep it. I'm trying to be smart about purchases and I want to make sure that I love it. Right now I do, but who doesn't love new gear?

• Members

Some more thoughts:

The amp is pretty loud. I have been playing a HRD, which is 40 watts, the Standard 12 is 12 watts but feels louder. This might be due to the speaker, the VHT has a Celestion ceramic while my HRD has a Jensen Alnico. Not sure, but I think the Celestion is more efficient. Still, this amp sounds really good, even at 1 on the dial.

This might sound silly, but I think this amp forces me to play better. It's like it won't hide my mistakes, so I better rise to the occasion. I like that.

It takes pedals very nicely, but I think I like the guitar straight in the best. Still experimenting with the tones from the High and Low inputs, Bright versus Normal channel and using a jumper between the two.

Keeping the amp. :thu:

Archived