Hi hat cleaning

Destructobot

• Members

I've got some zildjian A mastersound hi hats and I like them quite a bit. However, I've been listening to the hats on recordings lately and thinking mine lack some responsiveness and high end crispness. They sound a bit dull, and I really have to work to get the sound out of them. I bought them used and have never cleaned them. Would cleaning increase the high pitch cut, the metallic sounding edge of the sound? I could snap a pic of them for you guys to judge just how dirty they are if that would help.

• Members

I have a pair of the same hats as you. Mine are 14 inch, I don't know what size you've got, but it doesn't matter. As for cleaning them, are they really marked up? Also, are they heavily soiled? If they are, then I suggest getting some cymbal creme and rubbing it into your hats.

They'll become shiny, but for hi-hats that's not really as important as it is with your crashes. What the cleaner will do is get that soiling out, and it'll clean up the stick marks. And yes, with the dirt out of the grooves in the hats, you'll notice a definite increase to your cutting power. Your accents will also be a lot clearer. Hope this helps you out.

Archived