Two Epiphone Semis

MarkBastable

• Members

In Europe these two retail for exactly the same price....

Epiphone ES-335 PRO VS - Thomann UK Cyberstore

Epiphone The Dot VS - Thomann UK Cyberstore

As the 335 Pro has more complex electrics (split coils, specifically) and inlays, I'm assuming that the reason it's not more expensive is that the build quality and materials are not as good as the Dot's.

Or is that too simplistic, and if so, how?

Of course, I could render that problem redundant by considering this...

Epiphone DOT Studio WSB - Thomann UK Cyberstore

...which is cheaper than either, because, presumably, of the lack of frills - but, aesthetics apart, is anything else contributing to the lower price?

Yes - of course - I'll try them all. But I'm interested in your views.

• Members

I'm not that familiar with all the specs, but the picture shows block inlays on the first one but the description says dots. My brother has an older Dot and it is really great. I would love to have one of those.

Yeah, I think that's just an uncharacteristic administrative screw-up on Thomman's part.

• Members

As far as I can tell, the Pro model is a limited run, and it's features are very attractive. I would wager that the Pro bodies, necks, etc. come off the same assembly line as the regular Dots, they just get a different inlay and electronic job. I have only played the Dot Studios at guitar shops, but I never played one that I liked. Quite a few members here have one and are pleased, but I'd never get one. I have an older Dot from the mid-90s, and it's a very cool guitar. I am a fan of the newer Dots, too, and I think that the Pro model would be a great option.

Archived