Quintessential Jazz Setup Or What Should I Add???

jokerjkny

• Members

I usually get my freak on in the bass forums, but in trying to be a better bass player, i've been getting back into drumming.

I'm using a Yamaha Manu Katche Jr. set it got last christmas, and i think its time to add some new pieces to it. cymbal wise, its just a cheapie set of Paiste 502 cymbals: 14" hi hats, 16" crash, 20" ride.

anyone wanna suggest some new cymbals or snare or maybe even more toms to my set? also, is there something i should upgrade on the set itself to make it better? money's not really an issue, but just stuff that's cool i should consider.

i'm lookin' for something with a nice snappy jazzy feel. just something still mellow enough that's good for jazz or acoustic stuff.

add what you will!

• Members

thx porty!

wanna recommend me a size? 16"? 18"? should i consider a cool china hat (what an awfully silly name.. :rolleyes: ) or cymbal, or is that too specialized a sound for versatility?

also, what's the cymbal size on the far left in this pic of Jeff Hamilton's setup? is that just another ride?

jeffhamilton3.jpg

• Members

I would go for smaller cymbals for jazz and bigger for rock/metal but it seems like Mr Hamilton prefer bigger cymbals ......its just a matter of taste I guess. I think a 15 or 16 crash would be fine but I would recommend you to go to a drum shop and try some different sizes and brands and see what you like....Good luck

• Members

Usually thin cymbals sound good in jazz. Sabian has some good signature cymbals out that Jazz players use..(hence the signature series). Depending on how loud of jazz you play, you could use a chinese. I wouldn't get a big china, but maybe a 14". A few splashes would be nice...6" or 8".

• Members

Usually for Jazz and "acousitc" stuff, you will want to go with real warm and deep toms. I haven't seen too many jazz players with quick toms, but who knows...I would go with 10'' 12'' 16'' as far as toms are concerned. If you want you could go bigger with the floor tom. Snares are very complex and it all depends on what sounds best for your band. Some people like bigger concert snares for jazz, while I've seen others go with piccolo snares. I would go with DW snares, which kick a lot of ass (they're pricey though).

• Members

I heard that yamaha is now making add on toms for their Manu Katche and hip gig sets. It was in sept. MD check it out. as for cymbals I'm not really a jazz player but you might want to check out some dark cymbals any brand. It really depends what your looking for. If you go with a drier cymbal you'll need more stick control if you want more wash you can be a bit more "sloppy" so to say. it's all what you want. I always find that as soon as i buy something my tastes are constatly changing, the best thing to do is try out everything possible. You'll take the best sounding cymbal home and tomorrow you'll want something different! It's really a blessing in disguise.

Archived