Why Is It So Hard to Find a Bass Player?

kayd_mon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't flame me here. I don't know you or your band but, as a bass player, these are my thoughts:

Are bass players hard to find or are bass players hard to find FOR YOUR BAND? I can't count the times that I have been asked to jam or audition and found out it is the band that are the flakes. If you ask me to be there at 5, I will be there at 5 with my instrument tuned up, strapped on, amp warmed up and ready to go. I don't want to hear what your band plans are for the next six months. I don't want to wait 20 minutes while the drummer sets up and while you fiddle with your gear. I don't want you on the phone trying to find out if the other band member is coming or not.

I don't want a discussion on what kind of music we should play and I don't want you to waste five minutes looking for a mic cable that works.

My time is valuable. I'm there to play. I can add value to your band but you have to value your band... and me... in the first place.

Nothing personal.

Surfy

• Members

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This was me when I played bass regularly. Our best guitarist even talked me in to swapping up for a while because he saw how much fun I was having and how much attention I was getting. He figured out really quickly that playing bass (and cutting loose on stage) wasn't as easy as I undoubtedly made it look and that all guitarists don't make good bassists.

• Members

No flames. The drummer and I are set up and ready to go at least 30 minutes before the time we ask the auditioning guy to come. Before the audition, we send mp3s of a couple songs so that they can prepare and not be lost as we go. During the audition/jam, we play something to warm up (such as a cover we all know, maybe, or an easy jam) and then play the songs we sent beforehand. We don't waste a lot of time talking. We are very friendly and easy-going. In all of our advertising and contacts, only one bassist showed up (2.5 hours late) and another canceled on us three times, each time while we were on the way to rehearsal. Since everyone hears a sample of our stuff in advance, if they don't like the music, that's fine, and we move on. But my complaint is all the people that say, "Your stuff is great, I totally want to jam with you guys!" And then when we set up a time, they flake. Also I'm complaining about the apparent lack of available bassists. First world problems.

Archived