NGD - help with TV Jones pickups please

sleewell

• Members

got this over the weekend:
love.gif

photo-11.jpg
love.gif

I love it but was planning to upgrade the pickups. am thinking the TV Jones power tron and power tron plus for the bridge but am open to suggestions as i dont have much experience with them. i play stoner blues rock funky type of stuff through the amps in my sig.

thanks,

Bill

• Members

I love the PowerTrons in my 6128 TVP. They pack quite a punch and sound great with some dirt. They have a great clean tone as well but it's not quite the classic gretsch sparkle so they would not be my first choice for rockabilly but for blues, rock, etc they are absolutely killer.

• Members

Yep, PowerTrons are cool, but they do have a fair mount of midrange honk soundwise IMO. If you want a bit less midrange, you might want to consider the Classic Plus pickups. Also, realize that you will need the English Mount kit from TV Jones, in order to put in any type of FilterTron pickup (but not so sure if this is the case with the new Lollars) in your 5120.

• Members

great, thanks for the replies!! yeah i was reading that 5120 section they have on the website, seems like they have answered these type of questions many times before hahaha.

i guess my amps and pedals have enough gain, maybe i should get the classics so i still have a great clean. i dunno, will keep thinking i guess.

• Members

What pickups are in that? I just picked up a new 5420T and it has the Black Top" Filter'Tron pickups in it. I haven't had a chance to spend much time with it but the stock pickups sound pretty good so far. Also, I'm really impressed with the quality of the guitar.

Congrats on your new Gretsch I hope you love your as much as I love mine.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phillbis View Post
What pickups are in that? I just picked up a new 5420T and it has the Black Top" Filter'Tron pickups in it. I haven't had a chance to spend much time with it but the stock pickups sound pretty good so far. Also, I'm really impressed with the quality of the guitar.

Congrats on your new Gretsch I hope you love your as much as I love mine.
yeah yours has nicer pickups, different inlays and bound f holes. i got this one for a steal though. both are super sexy guitars, i love mine but the stock pickups are the only thing holding this guitar back from being crazy good. i played mine all weekend both solo and at band practice. it feels and plays really nice but just couldnt dial in the sound i know its capable of.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sleewell

View Post

yeah yours has nicer pickups, different inlays and bound f holes. i got this one for a steal though. both are super sexy guitars, i love mine but the stock pickups are the only thing holding this guitar back from being crazy good. i played mine all weekend both solo and at band practice. it feels and plays really nice but just couldnt dial in the sound i know its capable of.

Ah, they must have revamped the new models. I do love your model though! I've never been impressed with the electromatic series until I played the hollow bodies. I actually tried to buy the model in your pic from GC last year. It was mistaklenly put on the floor but someone had it in layaway.

Archived