Ric modification complete

Help!I'maRock!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by scott944

View Post

That's what I thought, but it looks "splotchy" in that pic. Could just be the lighting.

It's splotchy because you can see where I spend the most time playing. Finger oils discolor the finish on the fretboard. So all you're seeing is that I actually play the thing instead of just looking at it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by scott944

View Post

That's what I thought, but it looks "splotchy" in that pic. Could just be the lighting.

It's splotchy because you can see where I spend the most time playing. Finger oils discolor the finish on the fretboard. So all you're seeing is that I actually play the thing instead of just looking at it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!

View Post

the thing that bugs me most about Rics is that people cry heresy when you go to mod them. they're great playing and sounding instruments. but a couple of simple mods and they're beasts. the bridge pickup now has almost as much treble as my telecaster. i always said that this Ric didn't jangle. it sure does now.

Totally agree that a lot of people seem to have a bugbear about modifying Rics. As I said earlier, I wouldn't change mine for the world, but that's only because I'm completely satisfied with it (else I wouldn't have cleaned out my wallet to get it!), I don't think I would hesitate to do so otherwise.

I don't really use my 360 all that "conventionally" though. In the vid below all the rhythm guitar is done with my 360 (some of the lead with my CP50 strat - where you hear whammy bars!). The tightness of the attack and immediacy of the tone wins me over every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0afEUL665lA

Do you have any clips of your newly modded Ric? Be interesting to hear that jangle :-)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!

View Post

the thing that bugs me most about Rics is that people cry heresy when you go to mod them. they're great playing and sounding instruments. but a couple of simple mods and they're beasts. the bridge pickup now has almost as much treble as my telecaster. i always said that this Ric didn't jangle. it sure does now.

Totally agree that a lot of people seem to have a bugbear about modifying Rics. As I said earlier, I wouldn't change mine for the world, but that's only because I'm completely satisfied with it (else I wouldn't have cleaned out my wallet to get it!), I don't think I would hesitate to do so otherwise.

I don't really use my 360 all that "conventionally" though. In the vid below all the rhythm guitar is done with my 360 (some of the lead with my CP50 strat - where you hear whammy bars!). The tightness of the attack and immediacy of the tone wins me over every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0afEUL665lA

Do you have any clips of your newly modded Ric? Be interesting to hear that jangle :-)

• Members

My very unscientific theory goes something like this ... resale value on Ric's tends to be much better than other brands. Case in point - 650's sell for more used than I paid new off a dealers shelf [with no deals]. Supply and demand plays a big part. Rickenbacker always has a back-order situation, meaning instruments are made to order so there aren't a whole lot out there unspoken for. Other makers get Chinese factories pumping out their stuff like pop-corn causing an inventory glut and used values to decrease. By and large this situation makes Ric's more desirable from a dealers POV and they are pretty anal about condition and likely are the primary cause of the noise about modding.

Me - I play the {censored} out of mine. I've been a modder from the beginning and the Ric is just like any other guitar - I'll do to it what's necessary to make it work for me. Resale be damned! Wiring and electronics, as long as you're not altering the body by routing and such, are completely reversible. IMHO as long as you keep the original parts do whatever it takes!

Archived