NPR free streaming of Latest Hendrix post release

Snappy Hat

• Members

It's not a great album, but that's just my impression on the first listen. It's pretty good, for what it is.

I really liked the take of "Earth Blues." Very earthy (pun intended, I guess). That's arguably a better take than the one on First Rays of the New Rising Sun.

The take of "Villanova Junction" trails off prematurely, which reminds me I'm hearing a cash-in album.

• Members

Thanks for posting this link. I'd heard about the release and was curious about it (although skeptical). I've been a huge Hendrix fan since his first album. This "new" album has some moments, but overall I'm not that impressed. For me, one of the things that is missing is the songwriting and imagery Jimi is known for in songs like Little Wing, Spanish Castle Magic, 1983 (A Merman I Should Turn To Be) etc. This album is more a collection of blues riffs with forgettable lyrics. There were some funk elements in there that indicate a direction he may have gone more into if he had lived, although that's totally speculation. I'm glad I heard this music, but I don't think I'd buy the album.

Archived