Amp problem, cable problem, pedal problem? I need expert help

nuke_diver

• Members

I've been having a strange problem and I have been unable to trouble shoot it so I'm looking to the expert here for help.  Here's the problem.  Sometimes while playing the sound level will suddenly drop and stay at a low level.  Sometimes it seems to be in conjunction with switching pedals but sometimes not.  Channel switching doesn't help.  However the reason I haven't been able to isolate it further is because I can pretty much fix it by unplugging a cable (and it seems to be any cable).  Last night it did it and unplugging from the pedal board initially didnt work (it has before), so I thought maybe something had finally died but after going direct into the amp it was fine and plugging back into the board it was also fine and stayed that way for the rest of the day.   So I'm not sure what could be wrong, it almost seems like something is charged up and unplugging it discharges it but I didn't think that would happen on a guitar/amp.   It doesn't happen all the time so I can't be sure when it will again so it would be nice to have another plan of attach if/when it happens again

Yah I'm confused :?

• Members

Process of elimination. First make sure that all your pedals are receiving proper power. Then, switch out each patch in between pedals on your board. Then remove pedals themselves from the sigal. I suppose that it isn't your guitar's jack, since it worked going straight in.

• Members

tube amp?

if so, it could be a problem with one of the tubes - try tapping the top or front of the amp when it happens and see if you can bring it back that way - you could even try lightly tapping each of the tubes with the end of a pencil

if it is the kind of amp that has the input jack soldered onto a printed circuit board then there is a possibility that it has become intermittent as a result of being bumped

• Members

So the problem never occurs when you're playing straight into the amp? If so, then you've successfully eliminated the amp and that cable as culprits. My guess is its a faulty patch cable or insufficient power getting to each pedal. Are you using a daisy chain to power all the pedals? How many pedals and which ones? Are the pedalboard cables solderless?

• Members

I still suspect tubes because the very thing that makes tube amps great is also their weakness and I've experienced the same sort of thing as described in the OP and been able to deal with it simply by reseating all the tubes.

Does it happen often enough that, if you did reseat the tubes, you would know in a few days if you had solved the problem?

Archived