New drum kit suggestions

Metalmaster

• Members

I'm looking for a new kit, and I can't decide between a Pearl Export, Tama Rockstar, Rockstar Custom, Mapex Pro M, Premier, or something else. Any suggestions? I just need a shell pack, all my hardware & cymbals are good. The sizes I want are 2 18x22's, 8x10, 9x12, 14x16 (all hanging), and a 3x13 maple piccolo snare.

Also, what are some good heads to use on this kit? I play metal, and like a clicky bass sound, big deep tom sound, and a real crack on the snare. Thanks!

• Members

I have a Rockstar Custom and I really like it, so that would be my suggestion. But Rockstars, Exports, etc. are usually sold as a kit (with drums and hardware). Buying just the drums will probably be almost as expensive as buying the whole kit. Also, the kits usually come with specific drum sizes (22, 14, 12, 13, 16 or 22, 14, 10, 12, 14). Getting the sizes you want may be difficult, and costly.

Good luck

• Members

In the latest issue of Modern Drummer there is a review of the updated Rockstar Custom kit. It was a very favorable review. One of the changes I like on the new custom is the addition of wood bass drum hoops. Also in the artical it said you could assemble a "custom kit in addition to buying a stock kit. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that they kept the long one piece lugs. oh well, i guess you can't please everybody......:cool:

Archived