Licsensed floyd rose issues

Alexilaiho

• Members

If it's a lcensed copy of a normal floyd rose there should be a bolt underneath that allows you to remove the whole arm housing. Buy a replaement one with a screw on collar they are not very expensixe and it will solve the problem.

• Members

I went down this path before. If you're going to buy a Floyd, might as well pony up the cash for an Original, or licensed with a brand name like Gotoh. The $50 pieces of junk licensed Chinese models just are not worth it. The metal is too soft and it will wear out soon. Screws get stripped here and there. 

As for your issues, I'm not sure how to economically work on the threads to make it grab, especially if it's worn out. Maybe it's time to replace?

• Members

dmc69 wrote:

I went down this path before. If you're going to buy a Floyd, might as well pony up the cash for an Original, or licensed with a brand name like Gotoh. The $50 pieces of junk licensed Chinese models just are not worth it. The metal is too soft and it will wear out soon. Screws get stripped here and there. 

+infinity

OFR

Schaller

Gotoh

Ibanez EDGE

Takuechi TRS-101 

Takeuchi Lo-TRS (not to be confused with the pot-metal junk Ibanez Lo-TRS II)

Kahler Spyder

In my experience, these are the only Floyd Rose type trems to be relied upon.

The TRS-101 is probably the cheapest of the bunch, you often see them on 90s-era higher-end Japanese models of Jackson or Washburn. Ibanez used the Lo-TRS on quite a few Japanese market models as well, unfortunately the cheaper USA/Europe market models tended to get the Lo-TRS II which is no better than the $30 junk trems you see on ebay. If it has a wide steel block with 'Takeuchi' stamped on it, it should be a good trem - unless somebody has really abused it...

Archived