Danelectro 12 string action - set-up?

kr236rk

• Members

Hi,

Have a Danelectro 12 - it's a beaut but it has string rattles or buzzes at the second fret, the bass side and G double strings. The treble side EE and BBs are fine. The neck looks straight. But the action at the bridge looks complicated. Are there any guides on the net please?

Denelectro 12

Thanks,

• Members

Those are nice guitars - congrats. Is it a recent reissues [Korea], the previous recent reissues [China] or one of the first [Korea]?

Once those are setup they play very nice. You can get super low action, which makes playing a 12 string a nice experience for a change. The lipsticks [original Korean] have a great chime to them.

Both my Dano's went through the same process when new. I have my luthier* route a truss-rod adjustment hole in the body, do a fret dress and level** and any nut work that's required. Cost's between $100 and $150 but then I have a guitar that I can play.

* Dano necks have a truss-rod adjustment at the heel of the neck but they don't route an access hole in the body. The only way to adjust the truss-rod is to loosen the neck, which is a royal PITA.

** There are lots of DIY pages about how to level and dress frets. It's not hard, but not for everyone.

Archived