Sustainiac install issues

lespaul1964

• Members

I had a custom build Steinberger L shaped guitar (oar or broom type) and decided to retro fit a sustainiac system, the job has been much tougher than expected.

Anyways, it is now installed and working, though not 100%. Among the issues that I hve is that if I engage the Sustainic and bring down the volume pot to zero, there is still volume in the guitar, as if it was on 2 or something like that. i have no idea why.

The second issue is that in th mix mode,it will not give me the high harmonic in every fret. I suspect that may be pick up spacing, eventhough spacing complies with required specs, but it is narrower than a standard body guitar.

Any help is appreciated.

• Members

I have long wated to install one of those things in a guitar, and long been intimidated by the nuances...also too friggin busy. Not knowing how those are wired I wonder if somehow the output from your pickup was somehow boosted now such that a higher value volume pot is not required. (1M instead of 500k e.g.)

As for the harmonic deal, is it possible that the sustainer is too close to the strings causing interference? I never quite understood how that kind of thing WOULDN'T happen... say if that sustainer is imparting forces on a node.

• Members

I have long wanted to install one of those things in a guitar, and long been intimidated by the nuances...also too friggin busy. Not knowing how those are wired I wonder if somehow the output from your pickup was somehow boosted now such that a higher value volume pot is now required. (1M instead of 500k e.g.) **edited to fix typos... from my iPhone**

As for the harmonic deal, is it possible that the sustainer is too close to the strings causing interference? I never quite understood how that kind of thing WOULDN'T happen... say if that sustainer is imparting forces on a node.

• Members

I have a Sustainiac installed in my PRS Santana SE, and I agree with you that it is a very tough job to put one in. I don't know what the answer is to the problem you are having but have you tried checking with tech support at the Sustainiac company? You can email them or call on the phone. They were very responsive and helpful when I was installing mine. If anyone can help you, they can.

One possible workaround to the volume issue you are having might be to try using a volume pedal with the guitar and see it that brings the volume down to zero. It doesn't fix the problem, but might work.

Archived