bass drum muffling options

blastgenerator

• Members

hey guys I was thinking lets think of some bass drum muffling options becuase there is so many

give us bass drum muffling options you have and hav not tried but make sure to tell wich one you did and did not use but do not say which heads, patches for protection or beaters or drums you used because their is too many factors on sound and if we were all to talk about every little thing we would have to go out and buy new heads for options instead of using what we got to try out new muffling and if you want you can describe tuning for heads

ok heres one example that i havent tried but just an idea to let you know what im talking about- 1 strip of moongel on 4 oppsoite corners of the batter, and an style muffling felt circle that attaches to the hoop and and when you put preesure on it puts pressure on the head i hope yall know aht im talking about well put one near the edge of the resonant head if you can and put medium pressure on the head

ok this next step im not sure if its possible but please tell me because i think this is how evans does something like this with velcro it on their new muffling pillow

but buy 8 strips of velcro opposite eachother to stick and put each piece on each corner of both pillows w and place the other 8 pieces that will stick to both pillows horizontally on the bass drum bottom and make sure their lined up for all corners of the 2 pillows so you can place both pillows horizontally as well so both pillows will kind of squeeze eachother to apply pressure to both heads and if this doesnt work because both pillows fight eachother due to pressure than just use one pillow vertically and use velcro if you want the pillow to stay in place and use medium high tuning on the batter head and medium loose tuning on the resonant

ok heres one i tried- get a regular pillow and cut it down to however big your bass drum is in depth so mine is 16 inches deep so i cut it down to about 12 to 13 inches to let it sit firmly agaist both heads, then push all the excess cloth into the rest of the pillow and make sure it all sits even with eachother and sew the pillow back up .

This is good because it will help keep both heads more equally pressured instead of 1 pillow have unequal pressure on heads and not enogh pressurs in total to make a nice thick kick. Also I have a 12 inch hole in the resonant.

so what have yall tried?

• Members

In the past before all these new BD heads came with built in felt strip's and muffling rings. I used foam rings (used for bedding)

the ring would be as round as the BD 22" x 4" x what ever the thickness it came in usually 1.5" or so and I would place the ring in the bd against the batter and use times I would use a half of ring against the front head.

• Members

I dont like to muffle anything when it comes to a drum sound that I like. I really depends on what sound you want and which heads to use. Its my understanding that the drum head you use is a big % of the overall sound of a drum. With the bass drum I use a power stroke three Remo head that requires no muffling what so ever. However if I want a dry sound I will muffle the tone of the drum by cranking up the front head and put a t shirt of something in the hole to stop the over ring of the sound!

I hope this helps,

Rewand

Archived