slingerland opinions...

MikeD

• Members

I'm looking into buying my first drum set. The slingerland sets at musicyo seem appealing from a price/performance point of view. Can anyone let me know what they think of these kits, in particular this one:

http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=264

Also, what other recommendations would you give for around $700 (and under).

Thanks!

• Members

well im my mind, Slingerland is the best name in drums, however the older kits are the best, the ones at MusicHo.com are ok, but not the best thing for the money, as said before im sure you can get a much better used kit for that amount of cash. Im not a big fan of the slingerland drums offered from musicho at all...

• Members

I dont know what to think of those sets on musicyo. It says they are maple/koko blend. I have no clue what koko sounds like, and it doesnt say how much is maple. It could just be the outer and inner ply's. I would check out the new pacific cx. It is 100 dollars more than the slingerland, but you get an all maple shell and probably better hardware. Good luck.

• Members

I don't know about the set you're interested in, but I ordered a Slingerland Expresso kit from MusicYo last year. It turned out to be a piece of junk; very low quality construction. I sent it back after a few days. Shortly thereafter I got a Yamaha Hipgig, Jr. kit for about $550. It is top quality -- obviously built to last and sounds great. It might be more suited for jazz than for rock, however, since it is on the smaller size.

I'd check out Yamaha's beginner line. You might pay a hundred or so more, but you'd probably be getting a quality product that would last a long time.

Also, that cymbal pack that comes with the Slingerland is probably very low quality stuff. There is a big difference in sound between good and bad cymbals. I'd buy them individually after listening to them. Pick one or two out, play them a while, then ask the sales person to play them while you stand 20 feet away and listen to them.

Good luck.

Chris

• Members

thanks for all the advice!

So I guess I should clarify - I'd like to spend around $700 for the whole kit (cymbals included).

What are the opinions of the low-budget lines of Taye (spotlight and rocpro - does these guys only sell direct?) and pacific (fs)?

I'd like a kit that can do both rock and a little jazz (I really like MMW). Would something like the Taye SL518J work well for this (is the rockpro worth the extra $200 for a beginner like me)? Would I be lacking anything having only an 18" bass drum for rock stuff?

What type/brand of used kits would you recommend (yamaha, ludwig, etc)?

Thanks again for the help...

• Members

I will back up the RockPro, it's a great kit with great hardware. To keep costs down, all the lugs/rims/mounts on the RockPro through StudioMaple are the same, so basically the only differences between kits are the woods used and pedals/stands.

They don't sell through major retailers, but give them a call or email and they'll get back to you quickly with some dealers in your area.

As far as cymbals go, I would recommend getting a "real pair" of hi-hats at least, and if you have to get a cheaper ride and crash.

I'd suggest used zildjian New Beats ($100-$150) and Paiste 802 crash and ride to get started. Ultimately you'll want to upgrade anyway...

For rock, an 18" kick drum will work, it'll just be punchy and not very loud. If you're miked up, no problem. A 20" kick can do jazz just fine, and do rock a little better, though......

As far as used, I'd try Yamaha Stage Custom or Mapex Venus/Mars. Pearl Exports are okay and all, but the older kits won't have smaller toms like you'll want for jazz.

• Members

imissthewar - thanksfor the info - it's very helpful. Hopefully there will be a taye dealer somplace clse to me.

So, along the lines of the pacific kit, this seems like a really good price:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=021118133000066045006030216385/search/g=home/detail/base_id/51523

But what's up with the standard double bass pedal? I imagine I could just flip it on ebay for a nice single pedal.

• Members

Originally posted by MikeD

thanks for all the advice!

So I guess I should clarify - I'd like to spend around $700 for the whole kit (cymbals included).

What are the opinions of the low-budget lines of Taye (spotlight and rocpro - does these guys only sell direct?) and pacific (fs)?

I'd like a kit that can do both rock and a little jazz (I really like MMW). Would something like the Taye SL518J work well for this (is the rockpro worth the extra $200 for a beginner like me)? Would I be lacking anything having only an 18" bass drum for rock stuff?

What type/brand of used kits would you recommend (yamaha, ludwig, etc)?

Thanks again for the help...

I tend to agree,, if you look at used drumsets,, you'll stretch your dollar to include better quality drums and cymbals...

even nice vintage Slingerland kits can be had well within your budget,,,,

my preference is smaller (3 or 4 piece) kits, with larger bass drums(22" or larger),but I march to the beat of a different drum than most(no pun intended),,,, but most modern jazz guys prefer smaller kicks...(18"-20"), and it seems everyone and his brother has drums out the ass in their kits.....I just think it's overkill.....and a hassle to fit and carry....

• Members

Originally posted by MoosBros

My preference is smaller (3 or 4 piece) kits, with larger bass drums(22" or larger),but I march to the beat of a different drum than most(no pun intended),,,, but most modern jazz guys prefer smaller kicks...(18"-20"), and it seems everyone and his brother has drums out the ass in their kits.....I just think it's overkill.....and a hassle to fit and carry....

If I have more than 2 toms I don't know what to do with myself....

Archived