Refret and scalloping questions.

Branden

• Members

Do you have a link to his site? Or any way to get a hold of him?

Quote Originally Posted by Sillypeoples View Post
He's got pics. No personal dealings. Seems straight up.

Good advice here to consider buying a neck separately....if only to still have a guitar to play while waiting...also...I'd get the stainless fret install at the same time.

• Members

That would be bad ass. I had just assumed that a scallop job would be more expensive than a refret. Can you send your necks to Warmoth to have them scalloped? Or are these rates only for the necks they make?

Quote Originally Posted by bubkus_jones View Post
Not sure what anyone would charge to scallop your neck, but just as a reference, Warmoth charges $90 for a half-neck scallop, $110 for a full-neck scallop on the necks they sell.

Refrets do require a number of steps (pulling the old frets, seating the new ones, leveling, crowning and polishing), and scalloping is relatively more simple to accomplish, so don't be surprised if you can get that done cheaper than a refret.

• Members

lol. That pic is horrible.

There is a hilarious YouTube video where this kid does a 'How to scallop Your Fretboard'...and I am sitting there ready to take notes, totally stoked at doing it my self and he starts hitting this neck with a rasp, and I just can't believe it, it turns out be to be such a pile, and he's so totally proud of his work. Someone should call his Mom 'Keep him away from the tools, do it for us, all of us, any more videos like this and you will have guitar players throwing themselves off bridges'.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by PunkKitty View Post
No. It's actual wood. It's a badly done home scalloping job.
freak.gifcry.gif Where's the puke smiley when you need it?

Quote Originally Posted by Branden View Post
That would be bad ass. I had just assumed that a scallop job would be more expensive than a refret. Can you send your necks to Warmoth to have them scalloped? Or are these rates only for the necks they make?
That's only for their necks. Now, they're pretty much all CNC machining, so whether they scallop or not is mostly a matter of calling up the right carving program and loading the right cutter heads, so an after market job from someone might be more.

• Members

The biggest problem with a scalloped neck is you have to have a ultra light touch or you play everything sharp all the time. If you don't know what you are doing, do not scallop your neck. This is something that takes a lot of time to get used to playing correctly. The second part is a lot of guys do not scallop the entire neck, only from the 12th fret to the 24th fret, no need for the easy access frets and the small frets are the ones that you needs to be fast and light on anyway. With jumbo frets, I would say it is truly overkill and unneeded, but it is your guitar and money. You will most likely not like it scalloped.

• 10 months later...

Archived