Bob Dylan Strat sells for $965,000

Visconti

• Members

I have been a fan of Bob Dylan for as long as I can remember. When Bob released his first record in 1962 he only brought with him for the tour a couple of acoustic guitars, harmonicas, holder for his harmonics, picks, strings, a stool to sit his harmonicas on during the live show and mics for his vocal and his guitar.

In 1965 Bob decided he wanted to start playing electric guitars. He was influenced by The Beatles and the Stones to do so. In 1965 there was the Newport Folk Festival and Bob Dylan was invited to play. Bob played his acoustic set, but later he came back on and played an electric set with late great Michael Bloomfield on guitar.

At the festival when Bob played electric he was booed by the crowrd because he broke the rule - NO ELECTRIC INSTRUMENTS.

Well, Bob played a 1964 Fender Stratocaster with a 2 tome sunburst finish and it just sold at auction for $965,000. That is the highest amount anyone has payed for a electric guitar at auction.

Bob 1.jpg

Bob 2.jpg

Bob 3.jpg

• Members

I believe strongly in capitalism. I believe it is the driving force thst leads to the greatest accomplishments in tge history of man.

So, I believe in making as much money as makes you happy as long as it is done legally and ethically.

And I also believe anyone has the right to spend their own money on whatever tthey want as long as it is legal and ethical.

That said, I can only imagine a blithering moron paying this much for a guitar just because Bob Dylan, or anyone else for that matter played it.

• Members

DaveAronow wrote:

I believe strongly in capitalism. I believe it is the driving force thst leads to the greatest accomplishments in tge history of man.

So, I believe in making as much money as makes you happy as long as it is done legally and ethically.

And I also believe anyone has the right to spend their own money on whatever tthey want as long as it is legal and ethical.

That said, I can only imagine a blithering moron paying this much for a guitar just because Bob Dylan, or anyone else for that matter played it.

Dave, this is a historical guitar and it is an investment. This is not a guitar you jam on with your buddies in the garage. It's like the Hendrix Woodstock Strat.

BD 2.jpg

BD 1.jpg

• Members

DaveAronow wrote:

You'd really have your mind blown if you ever checked out the prices Rusian and Chinese billionaires are paying for "modern art"

• Members

etawful wrote:

The last guitar auction I saw like that was for Jerry Garcia's guitars (his "Wolf" guitar got $850,000).

Dude who bought Wolf is a serious musician, and has recorded an album using it.  He also lent it to Warren Haynes last summer when he did a series of shows playing Jerry music backed by symphony orchestras. Price for Wolf was $700,000 without auction fee.

Tiger, on the other hand, went to the owner of the Indianapolis Colts, who I guess plays some guitar but definitely isn't a pro.  He treats it more like a museum piece. Tiger sold for $850,000 before auction fees.

Archived