Basic grooves - perfectionized

slush

• Members

there are a ton of drummers out there who stick to the basic rock grooves and really don't throw a lot out at you. but when you listen to them play it sounds too good to be an easy groove. anyone catching what i'm talking about?

who are some of your favorite drummers that can lay down something so simple, but it sounds incredible? is this why ringo (beatles) was considered such a good drummer, because he could play the easy stuff really well? or was he just a bad drummer in disguise?

is it the simplicity that makes it sound so good?

• Members

Originally posted by slush

is this why ringo (beatles) was considered such a good drummer, because he could play the easy stuff really well? or was he just a bad drummer in disguise?

is it the simplicity that makes it sound so good?

Ringo was a capable drummer, IMHO. I always believed the rumour that other drummers like Bernard Purdie, and even Paul McCartney did alot of the recordings. Ringo had good stage presense, though.

The word you're trying to find is "feel". It's why people prefer real drummers over machines---- and why drummers make the best drum programmers!

I've mentioned Russ Kunkel a lot on here, but he's one of my favorite "simple, with feeling" types.

• Members

Hello! 1st timer over here.

About some good pocket players, you might wanna check out the James Brown drummers. Especially Clyde Stubblefield and John Jabo stark. Great drummers.

Some others to check out:

Al Jackson (booker t. and the mgs)

Bernard Purdie (for sure, big fat drums)

Steve Gadd (great pocket player)

Carlton barett (bob marley among others)

Sly Dunbar

Dennis Chambers (he's got lots of chops but he can really lay down a groove, just check P-Funk)

Steve Ferrone

Jim Keltner

John Robinson (he must have played with all major artists)

Matt Chamberlain

Matt Cameron

Any good 70's funk band.

Most of theses are mainly from the funk thingy but it's a good school to learn what a groove is.

Cheers,

Pat

Archived