best metronome

psycht

• Members

I'm looking at getting a better metronome than what i have now.

The Roland DB-88 seems to be top on the market, but i hear Tama has one out that has a "click track" option for live shows and recording..

any one use either of these (or other ones that you suggest)?

• Members

I dont know if the Tama one you're talking about is the Rhythm Watch 100 but thats the one that I just bought and I think its great.

There's no messing around going through multiple menus when you wanna change the beat. If you wanna throw some triplets in just turn a dial, plus the fact that it's easy to mount to an old stand makes it really convenient.

I dont know if this is the sort of thing that you're looking for but it certainly fulfills my needs.

• Members

I've got the Tama and it works fine. Very easy to deal with, and you can adjust the mix to hear quarter notes, eights, sixteenths, and triplets. You can also use it to determine the actual BPM of a song while you listen to it. This comes in handy if you're doing a cover and want to remember EXACTLY what the tempo is. I've never used the footswitch option, but I suppose it might be helpful to some people.

That being said, I think the Roland has all of these features and a few more. Things like a voice counting off, more/different sounds...

If I were to do it all over again, I'd probably spend the extra dough and get the Roland.

BTW, Tama is really pushing theirs right now in advertising, so it "appears" that all of these drummers are using it. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but if you can get a couple of guys to mention it in Modern Drummer and/or have thier kits photographed with the thing mounted on a stand, suddenly you create a demand for something. Classic marketing ploy.

Archived